Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DH wants to pull DD2's school file - tell him why NOT to

(12 Posts)
HoleySocksBatman Tue 01-Apr-14 18:18:44

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PolterGoose Tue 01-Apr-14 19:33:54

HoleySocksBatman Tue 01-Apr-14 19:35:10

HoleySocksBatman Tue 01-Apr-14 19:36:03

PolterGoose Tue 01-Apr-14 19:40:00

HoleySocksBatman Tue 01-Apr-14 19:45:15

PolterGoose Tue 01-Apr-14 19:56:05

trulymadlydeeplyunlikeable Tue 01-Apr-14 20:10:04

Hi Holey - no useful advice either way I'm afraid, but just to say I requested ours recently as we are going to tribunal (NiL). Wish I'd asked for it sooner though as there has been a school move and I have a feeling that information from the previous school will have vanished. Current school (who think 'he's fine' despite asd, dyspraxia amongst other things, oh and walloping other kids) have reacted strangely. Secretaries seem mightily pissed off at having to do so much extra workhmm and Head has arranged a meeting with the LA. I'm very slowly getting used to eye rolls and sighs when I appear. I doubt there'll be much in the file tbh (that's not been doctored) and I'm on the quest for evidence so different situation to you, but I am preparing myself to be upset, and will have to choose well the time to read through it. Good Luck with whatever you decide. Oh and great that they are finally doing The Right Thing, I don't know what you had to go through to get there but well done for getting support.

cansu Tue 01-Apr-14 20:15:57

agree there is no point. If you do find something you dislike then that will make it harder for you to move forward when things are going well for dd. Yes, it will put their backs up. also I think it is unlikely to be as detailed and interesting as you might think. I would leave it if it was me. There does not seem any real reason to do it tbh

HoleySocksBatman Tue 01-Apr-14 20:19:59

purplecrocus Tue 01-Apr-14 21:03:22

Any parent is entitled to a copy of their child's records however it does seem to put the backs up of school staff for some reason hmm. I think they automatically assume you are looking for something to catch them out on so it can damage relationships. If you feel it would be useful then feel free to request them, you shouldn't feel bad about doing so.

I wish I had requested ds's files much earlier as there was a lot of nasty notes made by support staff and when I had previously complained I was made to feel that I was just imagining things.

It was all very useful for tribunal though. There was so much paperwork that they obviously didn't take the time to 'sift' it very well. The abundance of notes highlighting their failures was very helpful because we had been assured that lots of things that were being done when it was clear that they weren't sad.

Notes also showed that they were panicking when they received my request for the files, didn't know what to do and had to seek advice from the LA. I expect they will be a lot more cautious the next time anyone requests records again.

HoleySocksBatman Wed 02-Apr-14 08:21:59

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now