Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ASD clinic want to see my son again.....

(12 Posts)
adrianna1 Sat 29-Mar-14 20:43:48

after they gave him a diagnosis of ASD.. after 8 weeks. I told them no as I didn't see a point.....

why do they want to see my son again? I know they do a follow up review with the parent only to discuss how to help a child further... but in the past they have made it clear that they just want to see the parents...so why do they need to see my DS?????

Skylar123 Sat 29-Mar-14 22:49:25

Did you express your concern about your doubts with dx.

adrianna1 Sat 29-Mar-14 23:08:56

Hi Skylar.. no I did not express my concerns. They told me this after they diagnosed my DS.

nostoppingme Sun 30-Mar-14 06:57:55

Why do you not want them to see him again?

MooMummyMoo Sun 30-Mar-14 07:47:29

As you disagree with the diagnosis would it not be useful to take him back with you?

Skylar123 Sun 30-Mar-14 10:58:53

Can you ask then why they want to see you both?

adrianna1 Sun 30-Mar-14 14:48:31

Thanks for your replies.

I'm going to see the doctor but I'm not going to bring my DS. I'm just tired of all these assessments, even though I don't really agree with the diagnosis, I just want to move on.

ouryve Sun 30-Mar-14 16:57:22

Why did you instigate the assessments, adrianna?

I understand, it's all a lot to digest and can be very overwhelming. Do you think his needs are being met now, and, more importantly, are you sure that his needs will be met in the future, if you drop out of the system. Children with difficulties that might seem fairly mild, at the age they start school, often start to really flounder when they hit junior school age and the organisational and social demands on them are so much greater.

You do need to consider how much going with your own feelings, now, is likely to cause difficulties for your DS (and, subsequently, heartache for you), further down the line.

adrianna1 Sun 30-Mar-14 20:27:25

@ouryve

His already got a diagnosis from that clinic, so I don't see the point of them needing to see him again.

I didn't instigate the assessments, I was worried because of his speech delays, they referred him to an asd clinic to rule it out, test came back inconclusive and wanted to reassess him. When they reassessed him they gave him a diagnosis.

His needs are not being met, that's why I went back for him to be reassessed. I have already been dropped out of the system, because once you get a diagnosis they don't bother with you again.

youarewinning Sun 30-Mar-14 22:21:10

I'm confused now. Your saying they don't bother and your dropped from the system but yet they want you back in 8'weeks and you've refused.

Have you anyone in RL you can talk to - you seem to be finding the dx very hard to deal with. (Understandable).

I've heard it said many times that getting a dx often results in feelings that follow the same pattern as grief.

Anger
Denial
Acceptance. (And others in between)

Just remember that your. Dad has not changed because if the dx. And as ouryre said ^^ it is better for them to do it sooner rather than later if it means they get support.

thanks

adrianna1 Sun 30-Mar-14 23:28:17

@Youarewinning- thanks for replying.

Usually, in my area, when you are given a diagnosis of autism and your son does not have greater needs, except severe ones, like my DS. You are dropped out of the system.

I'm still going to go to the follow up, but without my DS. I know my son would not get any support from them, even if I go take him there again. Plus my DS already has a diagnosis, so I'm a bit suspicious that they want to see him again..... t

I think... I'm actually moving on from the diagnosis..yes I am still angry, hurt etc..but I'm just going to concentrate on my DS needs.

- It's the fact that I don't want my son to continually having all these assessments..he has other health issues too.. they gave him a diagnosis and I just want to move on. Plus that ASD clinic is depressing grin.

nostoppingme Mon 31-Mar-14 07:21:41

Let us know how you get on. And you are right; he has been through enough assessments. All the best x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now