Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DD2 has just been referred for assessment for autism - what happens now?

(4 Posts)
CharCharGabor Sat 29-Mar-14 11:37:37

DD2 is 4, but I have had concerns about her since she was 1. She lost words and became unresponsive with no interaction at that point. She had barely any eye contact, didn't respond to her name. She speaks now, but the way she speaks seems unusual. Her eye contact is very limited and fleeting. She is in preschool now, but doesn't seem to interact much with the other children. She has lots of other quirks as well.

So I spoke to the HV this week, and she has been referred to the paediatrician. What happens now? I know there'll be a waiting list. What happens when she sees the paed? I have had her referred for a hearing test too, just to rule that out.

PolterGoose Sat 29-Mar-14 11:57:27

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ineedmorepatience Sat 29-Mar-14 14:14:14

As your Dd is little she might be seen at the CDC in which case you could be seen by any member of the multidisiplinery team or sometimes a couple of them. They will take a history and want to kniw what your concerns are.

I agree with polter make some notes and keep a diary between now and the appointment, jot down what her issues are, what causes them (if you know) and how you manage her difficulties.

Remember you are the number one expert on your Dd.

Good luck smile

CharCharGabor Sat 29-Mar-14 17:52:14

Thanks so much for your replies smile I have scribbled down a long list of concerns, both past and present, and showed it to the HV. So I will take that along with me when we get the appointment. I have heard that the waiting list in my area is about 12 weeks for the first appt.

It is a relief to take it to this next step, I have had concerns about her for such a long time but they haven't really been taken seriously.

I will start a diary. She doesn't have many meltdowns atm, but struggles to follow instructions and gets overwhelmed easily. She tends to withdraw rather than shout and scream, so sometimes it's hard to work out if something is difficult for her or not.

Thanks again smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now