Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

How to talk to dd1 about puberty and periods (Aspergers)?

(7 Posts)
Marne Fri 28-Mar-14 12:26:30

Dd1 is 10 and has Aspergers, for the past week she has been rather grumpy and tearful which I think maybe due to her hitting puberty, her breasts are growing but not other signs ( other than being grumpy ), she has had sex education at school and we are quite open about things at home, if she asks questions then I answer, we have talked about her breasts growing and wearing a bra/crop top which she was fine about but we havn't really talked about periods. She's not a great fan of blood or pain so I'm not sure how she will handle it. How do I take to her about it without scaring her?

I am hoping she won't start her periods for a few years yet but I want her to be prepared incase it happens earlier.

Any advice?

Handywoman Fri 28-Mar-14 16:51:09

No advice. Sorry. But marking place because my 9yo dd (ASD) doesn't want to develop, and is VERY afraid of blood. Am hoping a barrage of facts about eggs and tubes wil help her cope in a more 'concrete' way without the 'growing up' angle. Who knows. They are all different. Good luck. thanks

AlarmOnSnooze Fri 28-Mar-14 19:51:10

Sorry, no advice here either, but will watch with interest as dd1 will be 10 this year...

She has started work on 'private things' and puberty etc at school, but I have no idea how much of it she is taking in. I dread the day she starts her period, and just wish I could put my fingers in my ears and sing 'la la la' VERY loudly.

thanks and cake

autumnsmum Fri 28-Mar-14 21:17:11

Watching this as well although dd2 is only four she has autism and cognitive impairment . I find the thought of periods terrifying

Marne Fri 28-Mar-14 21:18:15

It's a tough one, I try and talk to her about it but she changes the subject, I'm not sure how much they have been told at school either. Tbh dd1 should be the easier one, dd2 is 8 and is also growing breasts, she has more severe autism and I struggle to get her to keep clothes on, I'm dreading her starting her periods and I'm trying not to think about it ( blocking it out ), I hope the gp can give her something when she does start as she won't be able to cope.

autumnsmum Fri 28-Mar-14 21:32:24

MArne I've wondered about seeing the gp when the time comes

eatyourveg Fri 28-Mar-14 21:55:33

I bought this for ds. I think it is very good. Short sentences, simple vocabulary and very matter of fact and set out in a way that ds can understand.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now