Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

EP meeting today

(13 Posts)
Skylar123 Fri 28-Mar-14 08:04:47

Hello, my Ds has an ed pysch coming in to see him today as part of SA process, she also wants to meet with me. I think it's just an informal meeting, will I just discuss Ds needs at school?

Ineedmorepatience Fri 28-Mar-14 08:15:50

No such thing as an informal meeting sky anything you say can appear in the consultation record or report written like this "Mum/Mother says that....." Or "Mum/Mother reports that....." Becareful what you say and avoid saying anything that can be twisted or used against you.

Sorry to be so cynical. hmm

bjkmummy Fri 28-Mar-14 08:40:55

sadly i would agree with ineeds advice - ive been through it twice and thats exactly what happens

Skylar123 Fri 28-Mar-14 08:47:06

Oh I'm worried now if better zip my mouth up and say nothing. Thank you

mumsuz Fri 28-Mar-14 10:50:56

At our first Ed Pysch meeting, she just told me who she was and what she did etc and asked me to run through all of DD's needs which I did - at length.

I have no problem in those being recorded or reported back because they were pretty detailed and in many different areas. Im sure it is right that some things said could later be used against me but I just used it as an opportunity to outline all DD's needs.

Skylar123 Fri 28-Mar-14 16:47:59

I met with the EP earlier today. She said she will not be doing any assessments other than whT she has done today which consisted of getting my childs views on school and observing him and interacting with him. She said she will call me to go through her draft report. She asked me about my concerns and told me at least four times how hard it must be for me...Urgh!
She said that as Ds had EP assessments such as WISC and WIAT already she would not be doing them and she would work with those assessments , those assessments where actually done almost a year ago though. Before she left she asked me if I was aware that assessments have to be done within certain time frames. I asked her if the assessments that had been done were ok as they were nearly a year old. She said yes. She seemed very friendly but liked to sit very close to me so much so that I moved back as her nose was almost touching mine. Basically I have no idea what they can base their judgement to propose a statement or not on as they are not doing any in depth assessments. They will be no new info to them to that of which they already have.

Ineedmorepatience Fri 28-Mar-14 17:15:05

Well that sounds quite positive sky, Dd3 has also had those assessments too so fingers crossed if the LA are forced to assess her our LA EP will do the same! Our Indie EP report is only 5 months old.

Skylar123 Fri 28-Mar-14 18:04:13

Thanks ineed I'm not really sure what difference it made tho tbh. However she did talk to Ds and told me he wants to be HE then held her gaze at me as if waiting for me agree or say something I just smiled. She asked Ds how he would rate school 1-10 which he have a 10 for then sometimes 100!! Said learning was medium and he liked being with his friends. I asked Ds about this and he said he thought she meant how much would he like to stay at home from 1-10. It's not the first time he has given a high score for being at school and then told me he didn't realise what the question was. He hates school, I battle to get him there every day. I'm not sure if he is confirming to what he knows they want to hear at school or genuinely doesn't underTand what is being asked if him. I did however tell the EP that I have a chart that shows Ds 1-10 scores for school and every lesson which she asked me to post to her ASAP.

armani Fri 28-Mar-14 19:55:21

I doubt very much the la ep will work with the indie recomendations that are almost a year old. I wouldnt be suprised if they then go on to use this against you at a tribunal by saying they are out of date. i expect the report will be very vague and waffly and highlight how happy your dc is in school and how many friends he has etc.
but from a different pov this puts you at an advantage for tribunal if the statement is vague. the la wont have any evidence through standardised tests to use against you (providing you get up to date indie reports and the la dont assess again before your experts assess).

Skylar123 Fri 28-Mar-14 20:14:59

I'm planning on getting indi EP which is provisonally booked just around about the same time that the LA will either issue a NIL or proposed statement. I will be appealing the Nil and if we get a proposed statment I am sure I will be appealing it's content.
I'm worried that the LA will assess at some point and mess the indi EP plan up.
They won't assess though will they before they have decided on statement or nil, she made it clear she wouldn't be doing an assessment.

armani Sun 30-Mar-14 10:42:49

the EP has made it clear that as part of SA she wont be doing any standardised assessment but this could all change once you lodge an appeal with sendist, as the LA will want evidence to support their case.

once you have lodged your appeal write to both the school and la requesting that they notify you and ask permission for any assessment. ask them to put in writing that they will do so. then get your indi EP in quickly!

in my case the EP didn't do any assessment as part of SA. once I lodged the appeal I foolishly told the school that I was obtaining indi EP assessment. I then had the LA on the phone demanding to know who I was using etc. the LA then told me that they were iniating their own EP statement assessments shock . I then wrote to school and la stating that they need my permission etc but despite 4 letters and emails they have not responded or pur anything in writing sad .

Skylar123 Sun 30-Mar-14 10:59:40

Ok I get it. Luckily my EP is booked in for roundabout same time I will be putting in my appeal .

Skylar123 Sun 30-Mar-14 10:59:45

Thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now