Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

not really sn but withdrawing from RE lessons ?

(4 Posts)
thriftychic Thu 27-Mar-14 23:26:10

i know that you have a right to withdraw your child from religious education but does anyone know if this applies to faith schools ?

the senco told me there was no way it would be allowed because ds2 is at a church school .
This couldve been a plan B if they refuse to reduce his timetable , i would rather it wasnt RE he dropped but somethings got to give .

also she told me that there was no way ds2 was eligible for a statement , she said his needs would have to be greater , it was for kids with more serious disability and his grades were too good.

is she talking rubbish again ?

Littlefish Thu 27-Mar-14 23:49:39

I'm think that you can request that your ds be removed from the daily act of worship, but not sure that you can remove him from RE lessons as they are part of the curriculum. You wouldn't be able to insist that he be removed from maths lessons for example.

You can request statutory assessment yourself, you don't have to have her permission!

OneInEight Fri 28-Mar-14 06:43:17

By mutual agreement ds2 was withdrawn from RE lessons at his primary. RE was a trigger point for him as in his view it was a load of fiction and he couldn't understand why he was being taught it. Nothing was ever formalised but they cunningly arranged his weekly one-to-one session at the same time. This was before he was statemented.

Morgause Fri 28-Mar-14 06:46:31

I'm not sure you can withdraw in a school part funded by the church. Is there not a state school nearby you could move to?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now