Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

I have received the draft statement. I'm no expert, but it appears to be pointless - no support is specified at all

(7 Posts)
statementtotheedge Thu 27-Mar-14 20:10:02

Hello All,

I received lots of useful advice on here when completing the parental advice (thank you). My DS is 7. He has aspergers (with sensory issues), dyspraxia and even the LA consultant has said they are co-morbid with attentional difficulties. I would really appreciate some more help now please. I have received the draft. It is very vague and non-specific, (as per the Educational Psychologist report e.g. both saying he may need help at unstructured times of the day 'if necessary'!!!). When school, OSSME and myself are all pointing out the difficulties he is having.

I want to send a version of the statement back that is specific and will specify one to one support for him, particularly at unstructured times of the day. I would be very grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction of a well written ASD / dyspraxia statement on the internet to refer to, or, provide me with specific examples to go in to the statement for him? e.g. how do I word that he needs salt for his social skills and OT for a variety of issues.

I could type out the whole draft statement on this thread if anyone wouldn't be bored senseless reading it (although it is fairly short hmm)?

After reading their extremely vague Ed Psych, I am planning to get him privately assessed. Should I do that now, or wait for a tribunal date?

MariaNotChristmas Thu 27-Mar-14 20:21:38

I wouldn't waste much effort at this stage.

Polite email saying you had hoped for specified and quantified provision.
Negotiation and meetings now just delays the inevitable. And private reports now would be a bit to early for tribunal.

Finalise and appeal.

MariaNotChristmas Thu 27-Mar-14 20:22:56

If you write them a decent statement now, it's highly likely that evidence will magically appear to refute each and every one of your points

armani Thu 27-Mar-14 20:26:23

the statement should consist mainly of the recomendations made by the experts eg EP, SALT, OT etc. if your la reports are vague then you are going to need independant reports to use. these should then specify the provision you need and you can then re write the statement to include this. the trouble is if you dont have evidence the la probably wont change the statement.
what I did with my dds, was once I recieved the draft I wrote to the director of education for my la and requested that they amend the statement to be both specified and quantified in terms of provision. i quoted case law to prove that statements should be specified and quantified and also reminded them of my right to appeal. also asked for salt and ot to be included in parts 2&3 and not in parts 5&6 (this is very important as parts 5&6 are not legally enforceable).
the la then changed the draft slightly although it was still far too vague. I then lodged an appeal with sendist against parts 2 and 3. la then called a meeting and produced the working document which is alot more specific but does not incl salt or ot. hence my need for the salt and ot indi reports.

your independant reports need to be no longer than 6 months old at time of tribunal. if I were you I would provisionally book the ep for a few months time. this gives you time to contact and negotiate with the la and lodge your appeal with sendist if needed. good luck!

statementtotheedge Thu 27-Mar-14 21:05:09

Thank you both. That is all food for thought. I hadn't thought of booking a meeting or not amending the statement myself, but the suggestions do make more sense.

armani can I ask what case law you quoted please?

armani Thu 27-Mar-14 21:15:26

have a look on ipsea under significant legal cases.
I used -
Ex parte E
the Lancashire judgement
L v Clarke and Somerset

statementtotheedge Thu 27-Mar-14 22:06:31

Thanks again

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now