Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.
my independent reports are now all in(23 Posts)
and make quite depressing reading - she has SALT issues - confirmed again her working memory in the 2nd centile plus other difficulties - some parts she was on the 1st centile and at age 10 was scoring as a 5 year old.
OT report - she doesnt have dyspraxia but has other difficulties - the report has picked up on sensory issues, poor pencil grip, slow handwriting, low muscle tone, hypermobility, she has rigid thinking and set routines. she also in parts scored on 0.5 centile - she needs a sensory diet and needs small class sizes which i guess is fine for now as shes in a class of 10 but quite where i go from here for secondary - i have no idea and im so messed up now with it all. and of course the school are still telling the professionals that she is 'fine' and see no issues but the reports now contradict this.
final evidence deadline a week away so i guess i will send them with the final evidence - im still waiting for the final copy of the salt report so im not really delaying sending them. thinking tactics her class teacher now off for 2 days so nothing can happen there - so then just got next week to get through and pray no stupid games are about to be played.
It is hard reading it all written down isn't it? Though of course it doesn't change your dd from being the wonderful person she is. But I know you can also feel torn as we sort of 'want' bad reports to back up what we have been saying and to help access help. So it is 'great' in that upside down kind of way that they are so bad .
A bit of and I think is required.
Hopefully that will now give the LEA the evidence that your daughter does need to be assessed. Hard to read but hopefully they can no longer ignore their duties.
It is good the reports have highlighted the low centiles where dd most needs support and understanding as in my experience it helps to spell it out to the LEA. Its hard to read but remember the reports are there to show her support needs and the uneven profile, not to highlight where she shines. Perhaps make a little mental list for yourself of DDs lovely qualities to help balance the pain.
all of the reports comment on what an absolutely lovely well mannered hard working popular girl she is - i am so proud of her that despite these difficulties she has continued to try her absolute best. i am glad that when she was able to tell me she was struggling that i listened to her and then have done what we can to support her. i think it has upset me more because she already has 2 brothers with asd to deal with and i just wanted her not to have these challenges but it is what it is and now its my job to make sure that she gets the support she needs and fight for her just like i have for her brothers. its also evidence that she needs the assessment but i have an awful feeling that once the LA get their hands on the reports that they are going to ask for more time to consider them and try and delay the refusal to assess tribunal
The LA get the reports at final deadline and have sufficient time to consider them.
Even if they did try and delay you can refuse to consent to a request to adjourn.
It's only a pity the reports aren't for parts 2, 3 and 4 rather than appealing refusal.
It's emotionally draining to read reports. I always allow myself at least a day to read the reports as a parent - allowing frequent crying breaks as and when needed. Then I can read them dispassionately as if this is not my child.
parents evening is the monday after final deadline - last year it was in march - paranoid me thinks its been done delibertely - i dont have any up to date NC levels from school since Nov - IEP review was end of Feb where she failed 2/3 targets and the 3rd target was a bit dubious how they got her to meet it but thats another story! paranoid me thinks the school will hand the NC levels over to LA before the deadline and then tell us on the monday but then again LA have to show their hand at final deadline anyway - oh ignore me im stressing - ive got the evidence , we know they are going to skew the evidence - we all know its coming and theres nothing i can do so deep breath and keep going - getting final deadline stress
The parents evening is probably the one irritation that isn't deliberate. Easter is later (I think?) which skews the term dates.
You might want to bring someone else though.
They can smile and nod, while you compare her work with the next child's.
Even if the teacher says anything useful, it'll be flatly denied later. Which can make you look a bit nuts in front of the panel.
im going to struggle to be able to get to parents evening if im honest - its when my dh is working and he cant get time off - i also have two boys with asd so no way i can go with all 3 kids by myself - theres a morning appointment but that wont work as we have to get the elder boy to school -in reality we had the recent meeting so i know how she is doing so its not as though i have a lack of interest its just difficult and awkward i guess with the tribunal pending - but then dont want the teacher commenting in the hearing that i failed to attend parents evening but i can argue why quite easily - will see if she will offer an alternative appointment but will be after easter and that brings us dangerously close to the hearing
Aha. So you don't even need to concoct an excuse... fantastic
You could ask them to send the books home
for photocopying and make it a phone appointment instead so you can take notes They'll say no, which means it's not you who missed parents evening.
I had parents' evening for DS2 recently, before the tribunal hearing was cancelled. I used it to photograph all his school books with my iphone. The 10 mins with the teacher only took about 5 mins as I don't really care what she says to my face.
ive got no chance of getting hold of her books as only 10 kids in the class you just go straight in to the teacher and not left alone. her homework book has disappeared this week - thank god i copied it on monday before she handed it in! i also have her school books from year one where teacher writes that she needs to remember her capitals and full stops. in her homework book 4 years later teacher made the exact same comment!!! i think teacher will be relieved not to see me - last time i sent dad and he demanded an IEP so shes probably terrifed what we would demand this time not that it matters cos all shes going to say is what amazing progress she is making
Just ask to see them. Would look odd for them to refuse.
Helpful if she has another parent lurking and you're taking ages....
think it would completely freak her if i got my camera out in front of her and started copying them
im busy doing my case statement now and im just responding to the LA response and its driving me made - every date the LA quote is wrong - according to them i must have a time machine as ive done everything in the future cos instead of putting 2013 theyve put 2014 throughout it all - do they not check it before they send it????? fancy putting all this in front of a judge as your case statement and they cant even get the year right!
in my la's case statement they have unbelievably got my dd's name completely wrong! I feel like emailing the
bitch statementing officer to tell him but figured it would be better if they presented it to the tribunal - how can they know their case if they dont even know dd's name ffs!
you know nothing surprises me anymore - finally finished the response to the LA case although wasnt too bad as it was only 26 points and was that everything was at parents request.
the la enclosed the school ofsted and prospectus - god knows why as its a refusual to assess only but by enclosing it bulks out the response is my guess why the have done it. ive not said i have an issue with her school per se.
so today i continue - want to get it close to completion by the end of today but will see how far i get. my bundle is looking pretty good now as well.
on sunday friend coming round to do graphs and charts for me to show how the gap is widening although think we may go down the pub to do it - something is going to happen, my LA have now been too quiet. i got an envelope from them yesterday and i thought here we go but it was an offer for me to go on a parenting course....... i put it in the bin
My LEA put in the case management that the case was a refusal to issue a statement not a refusal to assess which it is.
wasuup, it would be very entertaining if they conceded during the hearing, on the day... because they hadn't noticed that typo till you 'helpfully' pointed it out as they walked in
Presume it would be hard to defend 'not assessing' to the judge when even they think they ought to have done it already
(although did that happen already? have got lost who's at which stage)
Not yet Maria - Tuesday is D day, got all the evidence now, just hope I get a decent Judge and Panel. LEA put a request for change in on Thursday less than 5 working days beforehand....
Good luck, just remember your not alone. They do not have your dd best interests at heart. The bottom line is budgets to the lea and school. Your taxes pay that budget. Your dd needs more of it and they don't like that.
Like the nhs, some people never get sick but when some drain budgets getting pregnant, cancer and car crashes their family members do not have to take the nhs to court to make the nhs pay for care.
You shouldn't be in this situation in the first place. Fighting for your child's right to exist in society.
Join the discussion
Already registered? Log in with:
Please login first.