Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

statement, help, not wanting to be here and argghh.

(10 Posts)
littleballerina Mon 24-Mar-14 15:04:46

Sorry I'm sure its been asked lots before but I can't search on my phone.

Ds has a diagnosis of autism, dyspraxia, dyslexia and anxiety. School are saying that although they think he needs a statement that they don't think he'll get one.
This cane after telling me that he's had yet another bad day.

Why won't he? And if school won't help us where can I get help?

The schools version of help is another child sat next to him. Today he got detention at break time because he didn't understand that help. They've said that next time it will be an after school detention. I've rung school and asked why he has been treated as naughty rather than given help. They've said as usual 'we'll nip that in the bud'. Like hell they will.

I've phoned the national autistic society but the automated response says it'll be atleast a week before I get a return call.

Things are no better at home. He says the world would be better off without him and that he doesn't want to be here. I've re- referred to CAMHS after they discharged him after diagnosing autism.

I can't cope anymore.

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 24-Mar-14 15:27:45

Use IPSEA's website and apply for a statement yourself for him asap; they have model letters on there you can use.

Ignore any naysayers like school saying he will not get one (nonsense, they do not make the decision anyway); you are his best - and only - advocate here.

littleballerina Mon 24-Mar-14 15:33:35

Thankyou. I had a look earlier and think I read it wrong as it looked like it was people just starting school or changing school. He's 12.

ouryve Mon 24-Mar-14 15:55:10

Nope - you can request an assessment at any time.

And they've proved themselves clueless enough to make it plain that you need to ignore their advice. Sitting him next to a particular child helps neither him, nor that child, ffs.

wasuup3000 Mon 24-Mar-14 16:05:07

The school sound useless - make an appointment with the GP and tell them everything maybe he can give you a medical note for your poor ds to have a break from this dreadful school and chase CAMHS. See if you can get hold of anyone at your LEA who deals with SEN matters and let them know what is happening. Apply for a statement today!

RaRaTheNoisyLion Mon 24-Mar-14 18:19:15

YOu need to put all incidents, quotes, issues etc. in writing on a regular basis, as well as details of the interventions you have been told about.

This will form the basis of your evidence to demonstrate the need for a statement or the very least an LA arse-kicking.

littleballerina Mon 24-Mar-14 19:03:06

Thankyou all
His support worker came earlier and is putting us in touch with someone from the lea and is referring Ds for counselling.

The new camhs referral only went in on Friday so could be a while.

Will make an appointment with the gp. Ds isn't sleeping which isn't helping so even if they can only help with that.

Swanhildapirouetting Mon 24-Mar-14 20:49:37

Hello, my 12 year old (Year 7) son has a diagnosis of Asperger's/HFA, dyslexia, and hardly any anxiety (although it is always there in the background and can flare up), and he is on SA plus (no statement) at school, gets a shared TA looking after him, homework emailed to us, teachers careful not to criticize his attempts at literacy and very encouraging, plus literacy interventions; I can ring the SEN dept at any time if there are issues - and if he starts getting anxious they are supportive and helpful, or prepared to listen to my suggestions of how to be supportive and helpful. Ds2 so far has no behavioural issues due to this pastoral support. This is a school without any dedicated ASD unit, and with no special reputation for SNs management. So far fingers crossed their pastoral attitude is what makes the difference, and handling the transition to secondary well.

If your son is on SA plus, which he should be, the school is already receiving extra funds to help him, I think, whether he has a statement or not. Can you find out what quantifiable help they are providing for him? If he is not on SA plus, why not????

Have you read Lost at School by Ross Greene, it shows how a behavioural approach to bad behaviour at school can be counterproductive, for some children, who need to address a skill deficit rather than punished for transgressions.

I agree with the poster who suggested getting him signed off with anxiety. Often that will help flag up how the lack of support is affecting him and you can log it. His behaviour at home when he comes home from school is also part of the evidence for a statement, because you can prove that he is being adversely affected by lack of support, emotionally.

Swanhildapirouetting Mon 24-Mar-14 20:51:43

Parent Partnership can help you draw up an application for a statement, although in some cases they are financed by the LA so less independent.

littleballerina Mon 24-Mar-14 20:57:01

Thankyou. He was school action plus but trying to find out if he still is.

I'll look for that book and ask the gp about signing him off. It would be interesting to see if his behavior changes.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: