Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Just came back from ADOS- Don't know what to make of it...

(44 Posts)
adrianna1 Mon 24-Mar-14 14:17:39

Here is my DS report...

Communication: Verbal- DS was mostly non-verbal throughout the assessment ( he normally babbles and vocalises). He used the word, 'pop' in the appropriate context during the assessments.

Non-verbal: DS demonstrated some nice examples of pointing during the assessment. During the joint attention task where the therapist gave him an opportunity to orientate to her eye gaze and look out of an object out of reach, he turned immediately and pointed to the toy that was on the shelf. He also used to a point and gesture directly upwards with it to indicate to the therapist that he wanted to balloon that had been put back in the box.

He coordinated the gesture with eye contact and a 'blow' gesture. DS used the blow gesture (pursing his lips and blowing out air) also to request more bubbles and during the birthday party to indicate to blow out candles.

Social interaction: DS eye contact was inconsistent throughout the assessment, and he found it hard to return a social smile (he usually does, but down to attention)..although he did smile etc. DS could demonstrate shared enjoyment during a few activities such as bubble play, balloon game and peek-a-boo. At one point, DS brought a toy aeroplane to his mother to show interest and gave his mum the deflated balloon to blow it up using a blowing gesture. He could respond to his name when it was called immediately. DS demonstrated a good example of coordinating eye gaze and a point and a smile during the request a snack activity.

Play: Played appropriately with the toys.

Behaviours: Played with the cause and effect toys for a period of time and resisted the therapist's attempts.

- Overall she said that even though my son interacts well with me, he should be able to do this with a variety of people and not wait till he is comfortable with the person

- He has no routine, no sensory, no behavioural issues..so they reckon he does not have classic autism.. has it.

- He should have a number of friends

- Even though he shares things with me..he should be doing this all the time.

So his diagnosis is autistic spectrum disorder and moderate learning difficulties.

PolterGoose Mon 24-Mar-14 14:21:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

zzzzz Mon 24-Mar-14 14:49:49

Goodness that was quick!

brew [hanky] [hug]

Does it feel right?

ouryve Mon 24-Mar-14 14:52:47

cake and [chocolate] needed, I think.

Do you think they saw a fair representation of your DS, today?

adrianna1 Mon 24-Mar-14 14:52:55

Um...well nothing.

The doctors says that his only difficulties are social interaction and language.

He has no issues with sensory, routine, self care needs skills etc.

I feel like "oh well", I knew he would get a diagnosis, not because I thought he had autism, I just knew he would get a diagnosis even if he perfumed well at the assessment.

They also mentioned that my son's autism is not obvious and they found him one of the most difficult kids to see whether he had autism or not.

I'm sad. I mean something is telling me is not autism but I could be in denial. But at the same time, I want to move on and forget about these assessments.

adrianna1 Mon 24-Mar-14 14:53:41

What do you guys think about the report?

adrianna1 Mon 24-Mar-14 14:55:51

They told me that if they assessed him at an early age and he acting like the way he was at the assessment...he would not get an autism diagnosis. But as he is four, he is expected to do a lot of things...so hence why the diagnosis.

It was a fair representation...but they were a bit confused as I told them that DS has friends...but nursery said that he doesn't have friends ....(odd).. but other than that, it was fair.

adrianna1 Mon 24-Mar-14 14:56:43

Apparently if you have a child diagnose with autism, you would not get a diagnosis of specific language impairment.

zzzzz Mon 24-Mar-14 15:03:02

That's my understanding (re SLI), but you could ask for ASD and language delay/disorder to. Highlight where the difficulty is.

ASD is a developmental disorder so it would b entirely understandable that your ds behaved socially like a younger child, but he will develop just in his own time.

Try not to worry about "nursery says no friends, I say he does have friends" because NO ONE would get a dx on that info.

adrianna1 Mon 24-Mar-14 15:05:00

Hi zzzz

Does your DS have a diagnosis of ASD?

zzzzz Mon 24-Mar-14 15:10:03

No. We are still in the process (he's 9). I think he will eventually be diagnosed as autistic with severe language disorder. He is moderately ASD, but VERY language disordered. At your Tate the language was the main issue. As he gets older the ASD maybeome the bigger issue.

adrianna1 Mon 24-Mar-14 19:42:54

Forgot to add.

They weren't sure if my DS has autism, the doctor had to ask her colleague about what they think.

But they told me he had enough of the symptoms ( he barely just touch the criteria) for autism.

I'm reading about autism again, but nothing really applies to my son. I just feel so lost sad.

- What did you guys think about his report.

adrianna1 Mon 24-Mar-14 19:43:21

And yet again. He is entitled to nothing....just speech therapy.

zzzzz Mon 24-Mar-14 19:47:25

"They weren't sure if my DS has autism, the doctor had to ask her colleague about what they think. "

But I thought you said

"So his diagnosis is autistic spectrum disorder and moderate learning difficulties."

????? I'm a bit confused.

adrianna1 Mon 24-Mar-14 19:48:15

Because he is overall delayed.

- Sometimes sociable to the people he knows
- Lack of facial expressions
- Does not like hair being cut
- delayed
- appears like a loner
- a bit repetitive.

He got his diagnosis.

The doctor told me this, as the reason why he got diagnosed.

Maybe I'm in denial. But I'm just going to move on.

adrianna1 Mon 24-Mar-14 19:49:17

Hi zzzz

but he met the criteria for autism, so he got the diagnosis of ASD. I had a hunch he had some learning difficulties.

adrianna1 Mon 24-Mar-14 19:51:45

Realistically, I don't think the professionals know what he actually has. In my opinion, for the fact that the doctor had to speak to several doctors, call up my DS nursery and call my speech therapist...( they do not usually call..just read reports). Makes me doubt the doctor...but there's nothing I can do. I just need to move on.

RaRaTheNoisyLion Mon 24-Mar-14 20:44:09

My ds was dx with ASD. And he has it. He really does. BUT only in a language rich context.

Outside of that. He doesn't.

adrianna1 Mon 24-Mar-14 20:50:28

What do you mean RaRa?

youarewinning Mon 24-Mar-14 21:02:05

I have a link I'll find to a pn article that equate ASD to a colour spectrum. It's very interesting and basically shows how within each triad of impairments they may have severe did difficulties in one area but mild in another. That may explain why 'some' of the ASd traits weren't as obvious and needed careful assessment?

If you truly do not feel the dx is correct you can seek a second opinion. This does not need to be immediate - but it is your right.

youarewinning Mon 24-Mar-14 21:02:37

graphicexplanations.info/2013/09/13/understanding-the-spectrum-in-autistic-spectrum/

RaRaTheNoisyLion Mon 24-Mar-14 21:03:41

I guess what I mean is that it is a very crude dx process and an inexact science.

Take the dx, see what it gets you, refine and re-evaluate. Disclose where and when you find it is useful, at other times redefine it as 'a language disorder', 'social communication difficulties', 'a bit shy' whatever works to get what it is your child needs.

Just be a little bit careful about the assumptions that come with a dx of ASD, that's all. I'm sick of people telling me that ds can't cope without a routine. He blimmin well has to because quite frankly I can't cope WITH one and I'm in charge.

Ahhhcantthinkofagoodname Mon 24-Mar-14 21:44:20

Hi Adrianna

Sorry to see this, I know what a difficult and confusing time it is post diagnosis. Dont know how to do the pics but would also go for cake and wine!

Lots of good advice above, as always.

We also have the thing of not being 100% sure of the diagnosis for our DS and some professionals have also questioned it too. We only recognise a small number of the characteristics of ASD in our son (limited imagination in play and lack of boundaries about personal space, social niceties etc) but I guess that's enough to get the diagnosis.

I guess we try to focus on strategies that help him which may or may not involve the "standard" ASD strategies. Eg he does NOT need to be shown a picture of a toilet to understnd we are askig him to go to the toilet!

Also we are very much focussing on getting our DS help for his verbal dyspraxia. Did you ever get the nuffield referral to find out if your DS might have VD?

Good luck with everything, it sounds cheesy but he is still your lovely boy

RaRaTheNoisyLion Mon 24-Mar-14 21:48:19

'Eg he does NOT need to be shown a picture of a toilet to understnd we are askig him to go to the toilet!'

Grrrrr. Thank God I'm past that battle and a half.

Got mighty fed up explaining to people that if they wanted ds to do something, just friggin tell him. Waving a badly drawn picture at him just confused him.

Ahhhcantthinkofagoodname Mon 24-Mar-14 21:51:43

Youqrewinning, thanks for posting that article, makes a lot of sense...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now