Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Expensive estimate - Disabled Facilities Grant

(6 Posts)
jess1975 Sat 22-Mar-14 21:21:40

We have recently been approved to have our back garden made safe with soft tar (the stuff in parks) for our ds to play. Architects plans have been approved by the Council. There is only one company near us that offer the service of providing soft tar. We were about to send our estimate in however this morning we received a schedule of works from Council and they have estimated how much they think it will cost. Basically there is a huge difference between the two prices. Our OT has recommended soft tar or something similar. The firm have said they have done work for some private housing associations and a few charities but not the local Council. Has anyone been in a similar situation and what happened?

RaRaTheNoisyLion Mon 24-Mar-14 13:39:44

Does the company know that the council will be paying?

jess1975 Mon 24-Mar-14 18:47:59

Yes they are aware. From what I can gather the Council have not funded this type of soft tar before and are therefore unaware of how expensive it is. However this is what the OT has recommended and they have approved the architects plans. Can they now backtrack?

RaRaTheNoisyLion Mon 24-Mar-14 18:55:02

I don't know tbh. The thing is, companies tend to charge well over the top when it comes to disabled children. They think (as we probably all did until it became our reality) that there is decent funding.

You can see a lot of services that are contracted to councils cost far more than they would contracted to individuals. Taxies for example.

I had to take a 30mile trip weekly for an essential SEN provision and the council refused to pay the journey (I don't drive and public transport would have taken 4 hours each way), so I contacted a company for quotes. When they thought the council was paying they quoted £90 each way. Another company quoted considerably less (but still unaffordable amounts) when I omitted the 'disabled' bit.

RaRaTheNoisyLion Mon 24-Mar-14 18:56:13

Anyway, your family needs what the need. The Council have agreed they need it, and if they want to shop around and get 3 quotes, get deals/job lots etc. then that is what THEY should do.

jess1975 Mon 24-Mar-14 19:11:46

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Just a waiting game. We need it like yesterday lol !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now