Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Relaxed performance of Matilda with National Autistic Soc

(9 Posts)
CarolineKnappShappey Fri 21-Mar-14 07:43:05

It's probably already been posted, but there will be a performance of Matilda in June which will be specially adapted to make individuals with autism feel welcome.

Can't do link, but here's a bit of cut and paste from the Stage. More info from the RSC site.

...The Royal Shakespeare Company, which produces the show at the Cambridge Theatre, has been working with the National Autistic Society for the performance, which will be held on June 15.

In a statement, the RSC said the relaxed performance would have elements that have been “adapted to reduce anxiety or stress”.

“Lighting and sound levels will be adjusted to soften their impact and there will be a relaxed attitude to noise and moving around the auditorium during the performance,” it said.

The RSC added that there would be “chill out areas” outside of the auditorium.

All tickets for this performance will be priced at £20 and people who book will be sent a “visual story” to help them get to know the plot and characters.

Catherine Mallyon, executive director of the Royal Shakespeare Company, said: “I am truly delighted to announce our first relaxed performance of Matilda the Musical, building on our commitment to offer the best environment and welcome for children, young people and families who might otherwise feel excluded from our work. Many families of children with autism or children with a learning disability can be reluctant to attend public theatre performances together.”

hellokittymania Fri 21-Mar-14 09:10:16

This sounds fantastic! grin

CarolineKnappShappey Fri 21-Mar-14 09:31:46

I know. Hopefully it should be a great day.

zzzzz Fri 21-Mar-14 19:15:40

Wow! I want to go!

uk.matildathemusical.com/tickets/relaxedperformance/

Not sure how it could work for that weekend, but it is a Sunday afternoon........

moondog Fri 21-Mar-14 19:29:55

Wonderful news!
I took my kids to see that a few months ago and it was one of the best things I have ever seen. Love it all.

neverputasockinatoaster Fri 21-Mar-14 19:33:38

Checking diary....

We've just finished the book as a bedtime story.

youarewinning Fri 21-Mar-14 19:43:41

Wow. That's fantastic. I really want to see it too.

youarewinning Fri 21-Mar-14 19:46:23

You have to call. I just checked website and RSC have so,d their ticket allocation alteady

CarolineKnappShappey Sat 22-Mar-14 00:05:11

You might be able to get tickets through See tickets as well .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now