Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

LGO slams Birmingham for losing a child

(13 Posts)
HoleySocksBatman Fri 21-Mar-14 07:28:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

PolterGoose Fri 21-Mar-14 07:58:52

bochead Fri 21-Mar-14 08:45:34

The payout is derisory. It's a LOT cheaper than the support she should have had. Once again no real accountability. Councils need to fear proper financial penalties.

Only 3 days paid for time off work so assessments can be done? Do me a favor!!!!!!!

We are currently enduring our 3rd core assessment in 4 years. Doubt it'll mean anything more than a lot of unwarranted invasion of our privacy, and a source of real irritation for us. The only plus I can think of is that it should make producing the new EHCP plan that bit easier when it's time to swap from a statement as we've recently relocated.

HoleySocksBatman Fri 21-Mar-14 10:06:38

RaRaTheNoisyLion Fri 21-Mar-14 16:40:09

In what way is that a deterrent from repeat behaviour.

IMO and IME this will be used as a justification for refusing provision further. This LA have got away with ruining the child and family's life chances for a small sum no where near what it would have costed to provide for them.

They will (and those watching) now remove services on that basis that very few will be able to bring the case to LGO and if they have organised and resourceful enough to be able to present clear evidence, they will 'win' barely enough to cover their admin costs.

Ineedmorepatience Fri 21-Mar-14 16:46:48

How many of our children are invisible to the system!!

I hope the girl and her mum finally get some help.

zzzzz Fri 21-Mar-14 17:27:35

We are invisible.

HoleySocksBatman Fri 21-Mar-14 17:32:33

MariaNotChristmas Fri 21-Mar-14 21:26:56

The council have to pay the £5k

plus an as-yet-undetermined backdated sum
to cover the difference between her allocated 10h/week direct payments and what ought to have been allocated

Still derisory, but not quite as bad as it looked at first glance. Providing the 'independent assessment of needs' really is.

The council will also pay the mother an amount, at a level set by the ombudsman, following an independent assessment of the girl's needs for any shortfall in service received from August 2011 onwards

HoleySocksBatman Sat 22-Mar-14 10:19:53

manishkmehta Mon 24-Mar-14 20:05:24

If anyone knows this mum then please tell her I’ll happily take these b***** to the ftt for FREE - dealing with any educational needs that are unmet... As for respite / social care... if anyone does know the mother then please tell her to contact Maxwell Gillott… What is society coming to?

HoleySocksBatman Tue 25-Mar-14 07:05:06

2tirednot2fight Thu 27-Mar-14 21:03:56

Anyone know when the LGO annual reports come out for each area? I understand my LA are set for a bashing so want to make sure I see it as soon as it's out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now