Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

SA application - IEP targets met good or bad?

(3 Posts)

I am appealing a refusal to assess for DS (10). He has AS, dyspraxia and significant speech and language difficulties.

He has been on EA+/SA+ since pre-school age. School have updated his IEP termly, extending his targets as he has met them. They are generally set as being fairly small, achievable goals.

So, over the years he has met lots of targets. I would say this goes against my case. But, those targets are set to be realistic for him and are WAY below the things that would normally be expected for a child his age. I'm not sure how to play this, a bit worried that if it seems he is meeting his targets there is no need for further support.

The main thrust of my application BTW is that he needs OT (which he has been discharged from after limited therapy, delivered by TAs under the instruction of an OT) and SALT (which he does get, but again minimal input from therapist and limited scope, mostly delivered by school).

Any thoughts please?

MariaNotChristmas Thu 20-Mar-14 19:28:39

Not bad.

Unusual to have a truthful school which is also good at target setting, follows advice, and does what they've promised.

Yes, we've been very lucky and it is why we've got this far without applying for a statement. The lack of OT and SALT is really starting to bite now though as we approach secondary transition.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now