Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

EHCP (or whatever it is called) vs statement: please enlighten me

(7 Posts)
amymouse Tue 18-Mar-14 16:27:18

We are about to apply for a statement for DD (3.6). The Early Years person from the LA is suggesting that statements are not able to be applied for and it will all be EHCPs in our authority. Is this bollocks or is there some truth is this? She has been a bit underhand before and so I am reluctant to trust her words! From what I can gather, the EHCP systems relies on the provision to fund the first X amount but doesn't actually tie them to that, or have I got the wrong end of the stick?

At the moment DD has 1:1 in nursery and it is not yet clear whether she will go to MS with specified hours or a MS with a communication or mobility unit attached. We are in a fortunate position of being in a big city and having both as local options. Either way, our paed (and I) think a statement or equivalent is the way forward to protect her support. I've read threads here before but now am starting the process my head has turned to mush. Again.

Strikeuptheband Tue 18-Mar-14 16:56:27

Unless your area is doing the pilot scheme for the new system, it won't apply unless you start applying in September. If you apply now then the old style statement should apply until the annual review. I was also told similar but luckily had it refuted at the meeting by the autism team. I was told it is best to apply yourself so did this back in November. We still haven't received the proposed statement but it should be soon. It takes 26 weeks approximately from start v to finish so I would start ASAP if I were you.

ouryve Tue 18-Mar-14 16:58:22

EHCPs aren't enforcible until September, iirc. For now, statements are still the way to go.

The finding will be the same regardless, though. Schools already have to fund part of the provision, themselves.

Nennypops Tue 18-Mar-14 18:37:57

Statements have to be offered even if the LA in question is a pathfinder area. It wouldn't be possible to enforce an EHCP before September, or to appeal to the tribunal if you don't like its contents.

Funding arrangements are a different issue, and the new funding rules are in operation now.

amymouse Tue 18-Mar-14 18:50:24

Thanks, that sounds roughly what I thought. Absolutely no one locally seems to be on the same page, so am guessing if I use IPSEA template letter might be the simplest way forward and take it from there?

DontputyourfingerinthejellyNel Tue 18-Mar-14 22:26:02

Yes, that's what I did. Good luck!

NoHaudinMaWheest Thu 20-Mar-14 15:31:06

I am having this issue. I used IPSEA template letter but got one back from LA saying they were going to assess for an ECHP.
I have just had advice from IPSEA saying to write to LA saying firmly that I want to apply for a statement and that that gives me the right to go to tribunal if they refuse to assess which I intend to do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now