Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Glasses for small 2 year old

(8 Posts)
Summerdaydreams Tue 18-Mar-14 11:58:43

Hello, can anyone advise me on any opticians with a range of glasses for a small just 2 year old.
DD needs glasses, the hospital have sent me on my way with a prescription and told me to go to any opticians. I went to Asda today, all their frames are HUGE for dd petite face. Any suggestions would be helpful? Thank you.

MiniSoksMakeHardWork Tue 18-Mar-14 13:05:36

Try specsavers. My dts have had glasses since they were 8 months old. They have some lovely frames with attached springy cords to dissuade them from pulling them off as much.

Our specsavers is brilliant with all our dc, have 3 in glasses due to squint.

Summerdaydreams Tue 18-Mar-14 13:36:23

thanks so much minisoks. Specsavers he we come.
Can I just ask, how were your dc at keeping their glasses on? Any tips? That's again.

often the independent opticians carry a better range of small frames or are more flexible about ordering in, but you do have to watch for additional costs, they can be pricey smile

my dd3 is very short sighted and has always been a good glasses wearer. She was quite adept at flicking them off her face and across the room at one point but she was always good about putting them back on after grin and thankfully our optician has been very good about multiple repairs over the years!

ProfJamesMoriarty Tue 18-Mar-14 15:43:16

Speak to the hospital, they will be able to advise you on the best optician in the area. They usually are able to deal with children with a range of difficulties and will be your best get. It is likely to be a independent retailer as the larger chains are not interested. Beware of extra charges as according to our optician, a hospital prescription for a child means you don't have to pay anything at all.

SallyBear Tue 18-Mar-14 22:44:14

I second the independent opticians. My local have been brilliant for two of my DS.

MiniSoksMakeHardWork Wed 19-Mar-14 01:10:57

Don't ever pay additional costs with hospital prescriptions! Or maybe it's just mine but they put them on the 'i' code which covers up to nearly £200.

My oldest dd (glasses at 2) and youngest twin (glasses at 8 months) are really good at keeping theirs on as I think it makes the most difference to them. The oldest twin is a pita but if we can distract her hands long enough, she will keep them on for a considerable period. It's just persistence and patience!

magso Wed 19-Mar-14 08:21:28

The hospital is probably not allowed to officially recommend any particular optician, but if you ring them and ask (off the record) if they know of any one who stocks small toddler sized frames they may be able to suggest someone.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now