Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

friend's son needs sensory integration therapy, but Guildford NHS can't help

(12 Posts)
StickleTick Tue 18-Mar-14 10:09:11

Hi, we live near Guildford, and a friend's son has just been SIGNED OFF !!! immediately after he was diagnosed with sensory processing disorder.
Can anyone help with ideas/places to go to get therapy … as nothing is offered on the local NHS.
MAny thanks

StickleTick Tue 18-Mar-14 10:36:51

he also has elements of ASD, but not enuf to be given an ASD diagnosis, although this could change, and ADHD.

ouryve Tue 18-Mar-14 11:01:30

Can your friend afford to go private?

If not, there's lots of fab books full of ideas for your own sensory integration activities. The out of sync child is the classic, though there are others, too.

Redoubtable Tue 18-Mar-14 11:37:52

Sensory processing disorder...

This website is associated with Dr Lucy Miller who is an Occupational Therapy researcher and does a lot of work on sensory integration

The 'Out of Sync child' is an excellent first resource as already mentioned.

Find a private OT here

Jacksterbear Tue 18-Mar-14 12:17:28

Another vote for "The out of sync child" and also "The out of sync child has fun". TOOSC is great for helping to identify and explain areas of difficulty. TOOSCHF has loads of suggestions for sensory therapy activities.

If your friend can afford to pay for an initial private OT assessment to identify areas of difficulty, and ideally to draw up a sensory diet (individualised therapy schedule) that would really be all that's needed; no need really to pay for ongoing therapy. The beauty of sensory integration activities is that you don't need to go to a weekly session or have the therapy done by an OT; you just fit it into your daily life and you and the child do it yourselves.

StickleTick Thu 20-Mar-14 11:38:21

thanks for all your replies. The books sound good, and I love the idea of getting the assessment, and then, fitting the recommendations in, around when suits. Thanks, Jacksterbear.

2boysnamedR Thu 20-Mar-14 12:42:22

How old is he? My son had ot but he's six

Flyingmum23 Thu 06-Nov-14 16:04:02

Are there any good clinics in Guildford for children that provide OT? I am always scared to go to independent but I cannot explain why. How does the cost compare of clinics versus independent OT?

2boysnamedR Thu 06-Nov-14 17:05:34

It's not cheap. The only private one I know is £1000

Flyingmum23 Thu 06-Nov-14 18:24:35

You mean 100 per session ?

Flyingmum23 Thu 06-Nov-14 18:29:54

Dot you really think that ongoing OT is not required? I have been thinking why pay but worried progress will not continue. Are we saying that payment for horseriding is better money spent for example ?

billiejeanbob Thu 06-Nov-14 19:15:38

In some cases direct SI therapy with an OT is needed - my dd receives this weekly from a SI trained OT in school as it is included within part 3 of her statement.

The NHS do not offer this therapy in our area either. We had dd assessed independently and had to go to tribunal. The LA were then ordered by the Judge to provide this as educational provision.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now