Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Licking - why?!

(8 Posts)
Ahhhcantthinkofagoodname Sat 15-Mar-14 19:51:42

Hello everyone
DS (aged 3.5, has ASD diagnosis) has jut started licking lots of things, eg the sofa, the kitchen cupboards, my top...
Anyone able to shed any light as to why? It's not really a big deal but should I be discouraging him as other people will think its weird if he does it outside the home...
Thanks!

wasuup3000 Sat 15-Mar-14 22:14:56

Have you heard of sensory processing if you give it a google you will find it. As google can explain it better than me smile

wasuup3000 Sat 15-Mar-14 22:15:41

www.sensoryintegration.org.uk/about-sensory-processing-disorder

tacal Sat 15-Mar-14 22:52:45

I bought my ds some chewy necklaces and chewy tubes to use as a replacement for putting random things in his mouth. I would often find him with his mouth on the shopping trolley in supermarket or mouth on side of checkout when I was putting the shopping on it. I was worried about germs so decided to seek an alternative for him. I did worry that giving ds something to put in his mouth was encouraging him but it seemed to resolve the problem. He used the chewy tubes for a while and then stopped putting things in his mouth completely. From time to time when he is anxious he will ask for his ' chewy toy'.

tacal Sat 15-Mar-14 22:59:24

sorry, I should have said... my ds putting things in his mouth is sensory and increases when he is anxious. He does it all the time when anxious. I would suggest trying to find an alternative to the licking that gives a similar sensory feeling.

Ahhhcantthinkofagoodname Sat 22-Mar-14 14:52:39

Thanks for the replies. It doesn't seem to be an anxiety thing for DS as he does it when he's at home or by himself. The chewy things sound like a good thing to have on standby whatever the trigger...

FancyAnOlive Tue 25-Mar-14 12:37:47

My dd does this - it's a sensory seeking thing AFAIK. She licks bus stops and once licked a tube seat. shudder Finding socially appropriate things to lick is probably the way to go if you can manage it!

MiniSoksMakeHardWork Tue 25-Mar-14 14:14:35

Ds licks me, and only me. I've put it down to a possessive thing as he used to eat all his toys. He's not got a diagnosis though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now