Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

I need to let off steam.

(5 Posts)
iloveithere Fri 14-Mar-14 16:15:41

DS has been doing so well in his part time behaviour placement that it was agreed yesterday that he was ready to return to mainstream school full time.
But today has been dreadful. It was his regular day at school, and he just lost it, hurt a teacher and several children over the course of the day, hitting, throwing, kicking etc. He has scratched me, which he hasn't done for months. We seem to be back to square one, and im wondering if returning full time is the right choice. Or parhaps just the news that he is leaving the security of the behaviour centre has spooked him. I wish I could make it all right for him, and the children around him.

ouryve Fri 14-Mar-14 16:29:36

Have mainstream done any work to identify triggers and make the environment and support they provide more suitable for him, while they've not had to deal with him full time?

iloveithere Fri 14-Mar-14 16:38:33

The class teacher is fantastic, she has made many adjustments for him, and he has a little support each day ( only 6 hours a week though). We have been trying to identify triggers for about 3 years, no one, childminder, nursery, ed psych, us, teacher, ect, and no one has found anything consistent.

ouryve Fri 14-Mar-14 18:56:39

Does he have any diagnosis? Has he been evaluated for sensory processing issues by an OT at any point?

Sorry, lots of questions. A lot of our DCs who display behaviours like this in school, but can be completely different in a quieter environment, also have significant sensory processing difficulties. Being in a busy classroom surrounded by lots of other people with their own movements, noises and smells, with the glare from lights and OFSTED pleasing clutter on the walls can be rather stressful for some kids.

iloveithere Fri 14-Mar-14 21:19:36

We have been considering getting an OT assessment, but he really only shows tiny issues with sensory input, school and the behaviour centre not sure its a major issue. He calmed down a lot when we got home, possibly he was over excited about getting a certificate in assembly. His ta was convinced it was too much chocolate cake the day before, until I pointed out that he hadn't eaten any cake, despite the fact that he was talking about it!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now