Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Some help please

(10 Posts)
AlwaysBeTrue Thu 13-Mar-14 20:45:29

Even a little bit of help would be more than appreciated. I am a mother of a 7yo, when my DS was 4 he suffered from a stroke which has effected his speech dramatically. In order for him to speak he has to think about what he wants to say then process how he is going to say it in his head, and when he says it 8 times out of 10 he gets all the words jumbled up which always reduces him to tears, it has gotten to a stage where he no longer wants to speak and would rather write down what he wants to say.

He has no confidence or self believe what so ever. I always encourage him and praise him even for the littlest things he does. He doesn't like going out, tears every night before bed because he knows he has got school in the morning and tears every morning before school.

He attends a school for children with learning difficulties because he just wasn't managing in mainstream school as they couldn't cater for his needs, I must say the school is brilliant their main concern is that he doesn't interact with any of the teachers or his peers, they told me today that he might have some form of autism.

No matter how much I try he always looks so sad it is breaking my heart, and dad just doesn't want to know him anymore.

zzzzz Thu 13-Mar-14 20:55:04

sad
Oh how very difficult for you both. My son has a severe language disorder and probably ASD and dd struggles with selective mutism as result of epilepsy MEDS.

I know that many children with communication difficulties struggle to talk at school. Why are they thinking ASD rather than anxiety/embarrassment?

His Dad sounds horrid.

How is his written communication?

WilsonFrickett Thu 13-Mar-14 20:59:10

That sounds really hard. I do wonder how easy it would be to separate the communication difficulties something like ASD would bring from something like a stroke. I know adults who had strokes and it's really hard for them and of course they'd had the chance to 'buy in' to the concept of speech/language/communication etc before they had it. It's a lot of hurdles for a child to climb - probably easier to not bother communicating iyswim.

What was his communication like pre-stroke, can you remember?

That said, it sounds like whatever the root cause, some of the autism strategies could help. Have you ever been on/been offered a Hanen course?

AlwaysBeTrue Thu 13-Mar-14 21:13:05

Zzzzz I have no idea why they are thinking ASD. Dad is very horrid he should be helping sad. His written communication is way above average. WilsonFrickett before he had the stroke everything was fine we still don't know the cause of the stroke and we haven't been offered anything. I was thinking of taking him to speech therapy.

PinkShark Thu 13-Mar-14 21:24:31

DS had a head (brain) injury from an accident when he was 2. It affected his speech, gross and fine motor and his hyperactivity hit the roof overnight. He does have dx od ASD as it was based on observing his behavior and only highly qualified experienced (private) consultants have dx with speech aphasia which is similar to stroke I believe and the cranio said he had swelling in his head.

Dx or not, the most important is his needs being met, the environment is right and the child is happy.

AlwaysBeTrue Thu 13-Mar-14 21:52:53

PinkShark my child isn't happy

StarlightMcKingsThree Thu 13-Mar-14 22:37:44

Yes, He needs the attention of a speech therapist. A proper assessment into the causes of his speech difficulties for a start. Then a programme to follow to help.

Outside of that you need to focus on communication rather than speech. Whatever happens don't allow the communication to stop or be stalled. Don't insist it can only happen through speech.

wonderwhattodo Thu 13-Mar-14 23:04:39

Could you contact this organisation for advice?
http://www.afasic.org.uk/

zzzzz Fri 14-Mar-14 03:03:52

Afasic is a good place to start.
Does he see SALT at school? If not self refer and get on that list.
7 was a very hard year for us too. It's when we left institutional education for ds1 and started Homeschooling. He was very unhappy. Two years later things are much better.

I'm in no way saying home education is the key, but being happy is.
Children can't learn when they are sad. So my advice would be to focus on making his life happier (easier said than done!).

Given his written communication is good would IT (games/ social media) be worth thinking about. Does he do any activities where he can excellent without speech? (Swimming/ climbing/judo/chess?). What is he good at? What does he enjoy? Does he have friends?

I often wonder if my ds1 might have had a stroke during or just before he was born. There are so many routes to language impairment/ ASD etc. in some ways it doesn't matter what caused it, what matters is how we help.

AlwaysBeTrue Fri 14-Mar-14 06:31:58

StarlightMcKingsThree I am going to take him to a speech therapist I have faith in my son that one day he will be able to speak normally. Wonderwhatttodo I am going to copy and paste that link thanks. Zzzzz he doesn't see SALT he doesn't do any activities he spends most of his time playing on the iPad or playing The Sims on the laptop, I must say he is a very good drawer also. Unfortunately he doesn't have any friends sad

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now