Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Shennengans starting before it's begun?

(5 Posts)
MandaHugNKiss Thu 13-Mar-14 19:49:44

13 days ago I spoke to the ht/senco (one and the same person) at ds2's nursery re applying for a statement as after I saw him at the salt assessment constantly get up from the table to flit around the room/turn on taps/open drawers despite being directed by the salt in the activities. aAll I kept thinking was 'this won't work in a school setting (due to start sept) and he's going to need support - hopefully it'll dimish as he gets older- so I had better apply for a statement.

She agrees with me. I don't know her awfully well but she seems lovely and supportive. says she'll compile a supporting letter/report for my application that I can collect (last friday).

Last friday I pop in and she tells me DS2 has coincidentally been a 'target child' and so there will be lots of up to date info. But she hasn't had the chance to confer with the peole who work closely with DS2 so is it ok if I get it next week (which will be tomorrow). All ok, despite me not wanting to lose another week before applying, but ok.

Earlier this week DH collects him and quite a song and dance is made about a picture he has done. It's only scribble (as is all his 'art') but multi coloured instead of his usual one colour. 'He must have spent ages on it' was said, implying he independently choose to do it (he does VERY LITTLE independent play/activity and needs to have ditection/modelling much if the time).

It didn't feel right. So today, a few days later, I show it to DS2 and ask him to tell me about it. He says he did it WITH 'xxxxx' and she told him to use all the colours... and then TOOK A PHOTO WITH A CAMERA!

Smells like logging 'progression'? Or am I paranoid? HT did day they'd portray him on his worst day (as I said, seems super supportive which is such a relief).

I don't know what I'm asking! grin

billiejeanbob Thu 13-Mar-14 20:49:25

dont let school delay you any further - get your req for SA in to the LA, you then have about 5 weeks to add any supporting evidence.

tbh it could be that they are trying to gather evidence to oppose SA as the school will have to fund the first 10k of statement provision or it could be nothing. but I wouldnt let them delay your request any longer, the LA will contact the school anyway and ask their view. if u wait any longer you are just giving them time to gather 'evidence'.
good luck!

WilsonFrickett Thu 13-Mar-14 21:00:54

Don't delay, get on with the statement. But it could just be they were excited by the picture?

MandaHugNKiss Thu 13-Mar-14 22:34:54

Could be excitement... but gut says otherwise. Ds2 tells it like he was directed and the results recorded. 'Then xxxxx took a picture with her camera and I did a smile'

Eh, we'll see I suppose. The funding thing doesn't make much sense as he'll be moving on from the nursery at the end of this school year so if he gets a statement it won't be them making the provision. Unless all schools in the area flock together under the LA banner, I guess.

But in any case I'll send off the request tomorrow whether the report is forthcoming or not.

Thanks for the good luck wishes!

StarlightMcKingsThree Fri 14-Mar-14 11:50:40

Good luck. Best to do it yourself!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now