Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

"I feel normal" said my 9yo DS today!

(12 Posts)
youarewinning Wed 12-Mar-14 21:19:13

And no, not normal as in like everyone else "normal" as a response to how he's feeling (we are working on emotions)

Turns out "sad" and "happy" seem to equivocate extreme feelings - and when I said so he's happy then as nothing is bothering him he repeated no he felt normal.

I'm not really entirely sure where to go from here - cue helpful suggestions wink

youarewinning Wed 12-Mar-14 21:20:42

We have been discussing using an emotions board for him to show me how he's feeling - which we then discuss when he's ready. He wants a 'normal' emotion. How on earth do I do that?!

HaveAcuppa Wed 12-Mar-14 21:34:16

Sorry, I haven't come up with a solution for this. My Dd is 13 and everything is 'normal' or 'ok' we have worked on emotion boards lots but she doesn't get to grips with it.

PolterGoose Wed 12-Mar-14 21:35:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

youarewinning Wed 12-Mar-14 21:43:41

Oh polter! I knew you'd have a visual equivalent with an analogy! My DS loves trains so I'm sure I can invent something train like to do the same.
We used makes of cars for the catastrophic scale you told me about.
obviously centred around what DS considered a great car you couldn't even touch down to something worthy of a scrap heap! yep - if it's really disastrous it's a scrap heap car. grin

Makeacuppa - I usually get 'fine' so normal is progress! Would be great if fine really was fine but I get no pre warning when fine turns into breakdown because everything is shite!

PolterGoose Wed 12-Mar-14 21:47:27

claw2 Wed 12-Mar-14 21:57:44

Marking my place for later. Have to go and try settling ds now.

youarewinning Wed 12-Mar-14 22:01:28

I have taken to replying to 'fine' with "fine good? Or fine bad?" If it's fine good ill get "it's fine" if it's fine bad I get"well................." and I regret asking!

youarewinning Wed 12-Mar-14 22:04:06

I've clearly not helped!!!' I must pull my finger out and do more. He's just finished a therapeutic story writing group where they've introduced the idea of using objects to represent feelings so I really want to carry it on.

Eg a spring for wound up tight! Elastic band for pulled in different directions!

youarewinning Wed 12-Mar-14 22:05:13

Claw - I understand you have a lot on ATM. Hope DS settles soon.

PolterGoose Wed 12-Mar-14 22:11:04

zzzzz Wed 12-Mar-14 22:43:36

So when he says normal he means "content" or "at peace". smile

I think that's lovely. It also takes a large part of the sting out of "you're not normal"

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now