Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

No Diagnosis - watchful waiting

(5 Posts)
FFSWhatToDo Tue 11-Mar-14 21:52:57

Just got the letter from CAMHS today. DS (8) does not meet the criteria for a diagnosis of ADHD. The letter acknowleges he exhibits many ADHD-type behaviours, especially at home, but note that they are not impairing him significantly at school, so no diagnosis.

I am feeling quite frustrated by this tbh. DS had a crappy year last year, and made no progress at school. This year he has a FAB teacher. Male, enthusiastic, really gets DS and is wonderful with him. Last year was with a more 'standard' teacher and it really wasn't good. If CAMHS had actually come and observed him last year (when he was referred by school to them), they WOULD have seen his education being impaired. I don't think DS has changed, he is just responding really well to this one individual teacher, but he won't have the same teacher for the rest of his school years!

In addition, he is still really hard work at home. We've done parentig courses etc, it isn't us or parenting, it's the fact that he is different from 'standard' children. However, we now have a diagnosis of 'no diagnosis'. Argh!

Sorry, this is just a vent really. I am not sure I am asking anything! I suppose I was just hoping that we would get a diagnosis and that would equal some help (for us, somehow) and some guarantees of getting what he needs at school rather than just relying on one great teacher who can help him at the moment. <<sad>>

skuntoo Tue 11-Mar-14 22:24:53

We had the same happen to us a couple of weeks ago so I feel your pain
DD 4 was assessed for autism. She had a SENCO report done last July at preschool which was shocking to read and we were referred to a paed.
Shes in a school run nursery now but they say they haven't seen any behaviours but did say she struggles to make friends and plays on her own but is making progress.
We explain all this to the multi assessment team showed videos explained what she was like at home and were told to ignore all of her behaviours and when I asked for help they wouldn't give any the School were shocked!!!! It will interesting when she starts reception as she will be tired and unable to keep up her "game face"

magso Wed 12-Mar-14 10:19:48

How frustrating not to have a diagnosis to assist in helping your child. Would it be worth writing to them - or better still having an appointment to ask why your ds is different to other pupils? It might be helpful for instance to know what skills are weak so that every one can understand and support him. Also does he better suit a different diagnosis? Even if you do not have a diagnosis, knowing where his strengths and weakness lie would help.

FFSWhatToDo Wed 12-Mar-14 13:14:05

Thanks for your replies.
The letter said that DS DOES have ADHD behaviours, but the key was that they were not causing him significant impairment at school = no diagnosis. CAMHS don't feel they can discharge him though, so intend to review him in a year. We are welcome to come back to them if things change. Which they will probably do when he has a new teacher in Sept, but then we have to go through the whole process again, and DS loses another huge chunk of time not getting support. Argh.
TBH, school is the ONLY place DS is keeping himself together. At home, he is a real pita, and he spend more time in time out on the bench at football for not listening, or doing as he is told than he does playing. We gave up on swimming lessons ages ago as he just didn't pay any attention to the teacher and it was driving her mad having to try to contain and instruct him.
In a way, I am so glad things are so much better at school, but I really fear it is all down to his amazing teacher, and it is not a permanent change.
Sorry, ranting again!
skuntoo sorry you are having this too. There does seem to be allowances for children who can 'contain' themselves at school, but then have to majorly let it out elsewhere to compensate.
Magso I am no expert, but really ADHD does seem to fit DS. He wants to do his best, so it's not like he doesn't want to be compliant, he just can't sometimes. He is also fine with change, social intereaction etc, so not on the spectrum. Not attachment or anxiety either imo.
Thanks for reading!

greener2 Wed 12-Mar-14 21:36:30

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now