Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

ABA - do I need a BCBA or BCaBA qualified consultant?

(2 Posts)
crunchynut Tue 11-Mar-14 12:01:29

Hello, I am about to start an ABA programme. I am fairly sure that if ABA is a success I will need to go to tribunal to get the right school/funding for my child. My question is - do I go for a consultant who is a BCBA/BCaBA? Or is it sufficient to have someone who says they are working towards the qualification? Obviously the huge expense of the BCBA/BCaBA is putting me off. But without it am I unlikely to win at tribunal? Your thoughts / experiences would be a great help. Thanks.

moondog Tue 11-Mar-14 13:54:14

I would go for a BCBA, for the simple reason that you can guarantee a certain level of evidence based knowledge and clinical expertise. Without this qualification, you have no mark of quality.
I'm a BCBA who regularly supervises and works with people doing the MSc in ABA. Many of these are not yet ready to develop and supervise a programme. It is possible your tribunal will reject someone without a recognized qualification which seems eminently reasonable to be honest.

BCBAs are working very hard to get the profession registered under HCPC. There are only 132 BCBAs in the UK.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now