Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Recommendations for reins for an 8 year old ADHD child

(6 Posts)
veryconfused2 Mon 10-Mar-14 22:21:30

I am wanting to get my 8 year old son some sort of reins/harness to keep him close to me when out. He is 8 but about the size of a 6/7 year old . It is particularly a concern when we are in busy public places as he tends to run off. I have heard you can get waist type reins/harnesses? Ultimately I am looking at getting a therapy dog for him and they can attach to the child via a waist harness so I would like a similar restraint to get him used to the idea. Any suggestions on where I could get something suitable?

ouryve Mon 10-Mar-14 22:38:48

Have a look at Crelling. I was going to upgrade DS2's outgrown toddler reins to one of their harnesses until he started to twist and turn and pull out of them. (We're back in the mac major for school runs, unfortunately!)

veryconfused2 Mon 10-Mar-14 23:00:09

Thanks will have a look. Luckily our school run is about 3 minutes walk and there is a massive verge separating the pavement from the lane so it is reasonably safe. Anything longer than that is harder though, especially in towns and for some reason he says he must run on any downward slope but he can't be relied on to stop when he reaches a road.

MariaNotChristmas Tue 11-Mar-14 08:17:02

Daysack and safety rein is more kid-acceptable, and less likely to get him teased. Crellings are great but if he refuses it, melts down and won't walk, it doesn't really help you.

MiniSoksMakeHardWork Wed 12-Mar-14 20:18:07

twin reins I don't know how strong they would be if really pushed. But I have these for our nearly 2 year old dts, have used them to hoick them up when they refuse to walk in the middle of the road and have used them on our nearly 4 year old when needed as he's a bolter and has no clue of road safety at times. They seem to have a generous adjust on them and you can alter the length of the safety strap too. The clips are only plastic though so I am concerned as to how they'd hold up long term. Depends on how strong your ds is when he runs.

youarewinning Wed 12-Mar-14 20:29:28

I use the safety rein at work with a 16yo pupil - attaches to a backpack easily however be aware they can slip a backpack off quite easily so we use one that clips around the body! That's ok for us as she can't undo the clips yet!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now