Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

statement for a child who is home educated

(7 Posts)
CaisleanDraiochta Mon 10-Mar-14 19:48:10

So I have taken Dd out of school today- full thread here and its possible she will be home educated, for the short-term at least. She also has a statement and I was just wondering what happens with that (if anything) while she is not in school?
Will she still be able to access any funding services?
What about when the EHCPs are introduced will that change anything?
Or will they simply cancel her statement as she isn't in school and we have to reapply if she went back at a later date?

Sorry I am really clueless about the whole thing, just want to get some facts ready for the inevitable accusations that home ed will be detrimental to DD.

PolterGoose Mon 10-Mar-14 21:17:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Borka Mon 10-Mar-14 21:45:37

Having a statement doesn't make any difference to deregistering unless your DD is at a special school. If she's at a mainstream school, you can just send the standard letter and take her out straight away if you want to.

PolterGoose Mon 10-Mar-14 22:01:48

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Ineedmorepatience Mon 10-Mar-14 22:10:56

Hi CaisleanDraiochta, I have just read some of your other thread, your story sounds similar to mine, except my Dd3 doesnt have a statement.

She is regularly very anxious about going to school and has had 5 unauthorised absences this year due to not being able to attend school.

It is awful taking your child somewhere and leaving them every day when you know they are unhappy.

Dd3 wrote a list similar to your Dd's list when she moved into yr 6, it says things about Shouty teachers, and detentions for homework too. It is very sad.

I would be prepared to HE Dd3 but am going to let her try secondary in September. If she cant cope I am going to take her out.

Good luck whatever you decide smile

OneInEight Tue 11-Mar-14 07:22:02

The LA has a duty to maintain a statement even if you home educate unless you and the professionals agree she no longer needs it.

You might find it useful to keep it in case you decide to go back to a school at a later day to save the fight of reapplying at a later date.

CaisleanDraiochta Tue 11-Mar-14 18:50:28

Thanks for the replies, DD is in mainstream school so I won't have a problem de-registering if that's the choice we make. It's looking more likely though if only until I find a suitable school place. Plus she has actually been so noticeably happier already. Tonight I watched her spinning round the living room, but it wasn't the usual furious spin like we see at the supermarket checkout, but rather a more graceful, almost ballet-like twirl.

So if Dd will continue to have a statement despite being home educated, will annual reviews take place? how will that go? it is due in May but obviously everything will be pretty much irrelevent by then if she is no longer in school.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now