Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Legal help for refusal to assess recommendations

(12 Posts)
Skylar123 Sun 09-Mar-14 20:50:36

I think I am able to get legal aid - can anyone suggest a solicitor I could possible look into for refusal to assess appeal - many thanks

Nigel1 Sun 09-Mar-14 20:57:28

If you are eligible for legal help then you have to access the service via

You will have a choice of 3 firms only one of which is a law firm.
No other law firm is allowed to provide a service under legal help/aid for education.

billiejeanbob Sun 09-Mar-14 21:17:26

maxwell gillott are absolutely fantastic, I cannot recomended them highly enough. they accept legal aid, although you do have to pay to be represented at a hearing.

Skylar123 Sun 09-Mar-14 22:32:58

Thank you for both replies.

I have looked at MG before, can I ask how much I would be looking at for representation at tribunal ?

billiejeanbob Sun 09-Mar-14 22:54:29

im currently appealing parts 2 &3 of statement and to be represented at the hearing by my solicitor (MG) is roughly £800 plus VAT and travel expenses, which equates to around £1200.

Skylar123 Sun 09-Mar-14 23:08:21

Thanks billiejean best of luck with your appeal

Icimoi Mon 10-Mar-14 01:39:51

A friend of mine is represented by MG. I think she said she was told that the cost of being represented (because it isn't covered by legal aid) varied according to the seniority of the person doing the representing, and that sometimes they get volunteer reps from people like IPSEA. She would second billiejean, so far she's really happy with them.

LindiRioni Mon 10-Mar-14 16:03:22

MG is fab,

May I wish you luck to get MG in for your case and not Tower Hamlet !! I had a lot of issues with Tower hamlet and did manage to move the case over to MG

However, MG told me after that I cannot get legal aid because over payent on Bank statment, this is very small amount to bring me over

Tell the civil advise line that you spoke to MG before if you want MG.. they might try to give you MG Law then.

Another thing, if you have not yet call the civil advise line. Please be prepared... I had a lot of troubles with them because they ask so many questions. Mainly about income and you must have exact figure for them. The best thing is to print out the bank statment for that day and last 3 month so you can see the figures correctly.

The reason I said this because if you are being accepted for legal aid, you will then be asked from Solicitor to send bank statment in last 3 months to them. This was my problem because the day I send bank statement over to MG, another benefit payment came in and it was over the limit.

Also you need the details of all you benefit payment too. They count everything as income for that 2 months ( or 3 months , i a not very sure ) that is including the money that borrow, transfer from anyone. ect.

If you cannot get MG for legal aid then you can ask to go Private or Fiona is also great.

Good Luck

Skylar123 Mon 10-Mar-14 19:19:47

Oh thanks for info that is me out then as last 3 months won't qualify only just reduced hours and income.
Fiona seems fab and less money

LindiRioni Mon 10-Mar-14 20:15:23

Skylar.. If you are able to afford Fiona is great because she is very good for her job. She is helping me at the moment and very straight to the point.

Another thing I would say is if you are not very good at paper work and do thing by yourself then I would probably go private with the firm with MG because Fiona is really busy. She is good but sometimes is hard to get hold of her.

I find the solicitor from MG is very quick reply.

Skylar123 Mon 10-Mar-14 21:20:04

Thanks Lindi, I have used Fiona before she is great. I will need help getting head round paperwork etc but can't afford MG I doubt .

Icimoi Tue 11-Mar-14 18:33:46

Skylar, MG do legal aid. Phone them.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: