Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Am I right to be concerned that too high a rate of DLA has been awarded to son with aspergers/HFA?

(9 Posts)
RolandRatsHat Sat 08-Mar-14 20:43:07

My six y o son was diagnosed with aspergers / high functioning autism last year. I recently eventually filled in the gruelling DLA form for him, expecting to maybe get low rate care awarded. I was factual and everyone, including professionals, told me to do it on worst type of day case, although I did acknowledge he has good days too.
I'm flabbergasted that he has been awarded low rate mobility and high rate care. I included psychologists report and Individual Education Plan as is on special needs register, though not statemented.
Please don't think I am bragging here, I really am not. I'm just worried that they have over awarded him and wonder if anyone has experience of this?
They have justified the higher rate care as needing constant supervision in day due to risk to self /others, which i understand. But they said "and you also need someone to often be a awake at night to watch over you often, or for a prolonged period, So that you do not cause substantial danger to yourself or others'. Yes, the support at night is needed sometimes, but I ticked that he needed watching over because of behavioural problems/ anxiety, not danger to self.
Am I getting too het up or should I be concerned? I don't want to end up owing DWP!!

bialystockandbloom Sat 08-Mar-14 20:50:43

Hmm well I suppose morally if you really think you actually don't need it you could always offer to downgrade... but I think only a saint fool would do this. If he gets reassessed at any point and is deemed to need less funds, that doesn't mean you'll owe them back-payments, it'll just be based on current needs.

And you never know, actually, when you might really need the extra funding for therapies, materials etc. This is a lifelong thing, needs change, and as he gets older the differences, and his needs, may become more apparent. I felt a fraud last year for getting 25hours support in ds's statement, thinking it wasn't needed (as at the time he was having a brilliant year), but this year has been a disaster for him and without the support from his statement he would not be going to school at all atm. I'm now thankful we have it.

PolterGoose Sat 08-Mar-14 20:52:52

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StarlightMcKingsThree Sat 08-Mar-14 21:00:58

I got HR the first time I applied. Like you I'd been honest and in fact a charity had filled in the form. I was surprised and also gutted that he qualified.

RolandRatsHat Sat 08-Mar-14 21:01:04

I was totally honest. We do need the money!! I can use some of it to enhance social activities etc, as this is his big support need. If we did not need it, I would not have applied. It just feels odd.

billiejeanbob Sat 08-Mar-14 21:16:44

if you were honest you have nothing to worry about and are entitled to the money to help your ds.
I was really shocked and gutted in a way when ds was awarded his dla. it made it all seem so real and intense that he has a lifelong disability.
dont feel guilty about the money, use it to benefit your ds as thats what its there for smile

FaceDirectionOfTravel Tue 11-Mar-14 16:36:10

The nighttime issues you are dealing with, so you never let them become too big, iyswim. Without you there, maybe it would be a much worse situation. Don't worry too much about the 'danger' word, though.

youarewinning Tue 11-Mar-14 19:49:13

My son is currently under assessment for HFA/AS/SCD. I completed a claim for DLA last July when he was 8yo. I filled in the forms honestly stating he has support at school during play etc as well. I also put about him needing me if he woke at night, couldn't toilet alone, leaves taps one etc and if he wakes takes 20-40 mins to re settle - or hours to actually go to sleep as anxiety, sleepwalks etc. even said that this was off and on but usually 4/5 nights a week.

Then, like you, felt my award was too high. Even queried it with DWP (yes I'm a twat!) but was told as all the reports from professionals backed up what I said, medical history etc from GP matched it was correct. Also said that because of his lack of independence skills I needed to be awake/ support him at night to prevent danger iyswim - I think it's just matching statements to everyday occurrences and the matching it to a level of payment.

I still feel guilty at times. confused

DippyDoohDahDay Wed 19-Mar-14 14:31:17

Thanks youarewinning ..probably just makes us decent people -- I know people who aren't and gladly defraud for whatever they can get--. Actually, the last two weeks nights with him have been notably worse and the school has mentioned his increasing anxiety. Poor little guys.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now