Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Refused Carers and don't understand why

(17 Posts)
Levi174517 Sat 08-Mar-14 11:44:47

I recently made a claim for carers allowance online. DS has received mid rate care and low rate mobility DLA since July 2013. I'd been procrastinating doing the forms expecting something horrendous like the DLA form.

I got their reply today. I've been refused carers allowance and I don't understand why. Can anybody shed any light?

They say "We cannot accept your claim. This is because it was made more than 3 months before you could be considered for the allowance. "

I can phone on Monday and ask them for a mandatory reconsideration but unsure what to say? At the moment there's a danger I'd spew out a stream of vitriol questioning their intelligence which isn't helpful

Stupid DWP. There's nowhere on their forms I can see where you can't claim carers until the first anniversary of the DLA award - the cretins.

Any advice?

bjkmummy Sat 08-Mar-14 11:49:59

I thought you could claim from the date dla was awarded. I think someone has looked at the wrong date or something or the computer has had a mini wobble. I'm sure you will get it sorted but its such a pain having to sort it out. Carers is usually pretty straightforward

Levi174517 Sat 08-Mar-14 12:06:25

Yes, I think you're right bjkmummy. Now I've calmed down a little I'm guessing they've got the DLA award as July 2014. I'm sure I didn't write that on the form. I did double check. confused I'm questioning myself now.

I'm also wondering how anybody would know they were getting a DLA award on 23rd of July this year. It's not like I signed my form Claire Voyant.

chocgalore Sat 08-Mar-14 12:10:09

Sounds like a some kind of misunderstanding to me. CA is usually really straight forward if you don't have any other income.

Levi174517 Sat 08-Mar-14 12:15:43

I thought it was simple when I was filling it out chocgalore. I included that I get child benefit in the other income section and double checked that DS being in school didn't count as a break from caring for him.

F

Levi174517 Sat 08-Mar-14 12:16:40

Argh. Posted too soon. Meant to write "fingers crossed its soon sorted". Thanks for the advice.

chocgalore Sat 08-Mar-14 12:47:38

I am sure it will. Probably somebody just put a wrong date into the computer or something like that. Just ring them. I found them aleays really helpful (unlike the Dla people).

KeepOnKeepingOn1 Sat 08-Mar-14 13:50:25

I can remember that I had three months from when DLA was awarded to apply for CA (I think). Are they trying to say that your application for CA was received 'too late'?

chocgalore Sat 08-Mar-14 14:14:23

I am pretty sure they only backdate CA for 3 months and if one applies more than 3 months after the DLA award then one looses only the money for the unclaimed period iyswim.

bjkmummy Sat 08-Mar-14 14:22:25

I know when I claimed I put down the date dla was awarded - I applied for carers quite a few months after - I got the carers awarded but the letter stated that I couldn't have it backdated that far back - used to be 3 months although ive got a feeling they've now reduced it to a month - I bet someone has put the wrong date in - the forms are scanned through a computer so the rejection will be computer generated rather than a human sitting there looking at it - clear case of the computer says no........

Levi174517 Sat 08-Mar-14 15:01:25

KeepOnKeepingOn1. I really hope there's not a three month time limit to apply for carers. blush

That would probably not teach me not to procrastinate.

I hope it's a typo and will be easily sorted on Monday. Why do these letters arrive on a Saturday when their phone lines are closed? Probably deliberately planned that way sad

magso Sat 08-Mar-14 18:01:25

Could it be related to past earnings and waiting for the new tax year? (grasping at straws)

Levi174517 Sat 08-Mar-14 18:52:10

No it's not past earnings as I'm a stay at home mum.

I expect I've filled the forms out wrong and said he was awarded DLA in July of this year. That seems the most likely scenario.

I hope I can confirm the true date when I phone them on Monday. I expect I might have to post them copies of his award letter.

The crazy thing is I managed to fill out the far more complicated DLA form with no mistakes other than writing far more than the tiny boxes allowed.

I am a bit angry with myself.

magso Sat 08-Mar-14 21:37:25

Hopefully it will get sorted out.

Levi174517 Sat 08-Mar-14 22:13:52

Thank you grin

Levi174517 Mon 10-Mar-14 09:07:25

An update. It was all my fault - as if that was in doubt! Rather than backdating the claim 3 months I had forward dated by 9 months. blush

I've to do another form and write in the notes that its to be considered as my original form as I made an error.

Thanks everyone.

bjkmummy Mon 10-Mar-14 09:34:44

whoops! but easy done and at least you know now why = carers are pretty good at sorting it out so it shouldn't take them to long to get the payments to you - you should have a nice little back payment as wellsmile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now