Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DPA request for the lea - anything else I need to add?

(23 Posts)
2boysnamedR Thu 06-Mar-14 22:17:35

All e information that lea holds on my son that has not been sent in by myself as evidence towards his statutory assessment for a statement.

Namely all written information and electronic information in relation to Ds in the decision making process
All of the correspondence from all of the professionals asked to submit evidence Ocupational therapy, Private salt, developmental paediatrician, nhs salt, educational psychologist, all parties that have been into school to assess ds All information submitted by school.

In summary everything held on Ds

Anything else?

Can I ask them in the same request for the school sen budget or is that a separate request?

JJXM Thu 06-Mar-14 22:36:09

The question on the SEN budget is a Freedom of Information request which is different to a DPA. There will be somewhere on your council's website and you can make the request for free if you receive the information electronically. You can ask lots of questions in the same FOI request - so how many children have been issued with a note in lieu in the last 12 months.

As part of the DPA request you should receive everything held on your son including communication between staff but be vigilant - my LA have just sent me copies of the information I submitted hmm

2boysnamedR Thu 06-Mar-14 22:40:13

Thanks. So i need to state all emails relating to him as well?

claw2 Thu 06-Mar-14 23:23:47

I asked for all emails and notes of verbal conversations.

I also just asked for ALL information and didn't say just information relating to SA.

I found some very interesting emails and notes of conversations, relating to years earlier.

2boysnamedR Fri 07-Mar-14 08:09:06

Thanks, it's going in today. Still not seen the note in lieu.

2boysnamedR Fri 07-Mar-14 08:34:16

Done. Just need to do the same for the nhs and finally the school. What a pita - but if it wasn't this I would appealing a unfit statement.

claw2 Fri 07-Mar-14 09:21:06

It is well worth it. I found so much evidence on these files, evidence of lack of progress and cover ups.

LA's/School's don't like having dirty laundry aired at Tribunals.

2boysnamedR Fri 07-Mar-14 09:48:57

I just won't trust anything they come up with no.

I have some one helping me who thinks the lea have done this out of spite

ouryve Fri 07-Mar-14 09:58:14

Every delay buys them time when they're not having to potentially pay for provision. By doing this, they've managed to let themselves off any obligations for the rest of the academic year, and possibly longer.

claw2 Fri 07-Mar-14 09:59:33

If im honest I don't think the LA or school or NHS do anything out of spite as such. I think initially they do things due to lack of understanding of complex needs, then it snowballs, they would then rather try to cover their tracks, than say they messed up. Also the money element, its cheaper to drag it out as long as possible.

Its only when faced with overwhelming evidence of their mess up, do they give in, rather than admit they messed up. Still giving you what you are asking for is far more productive than an apology.

JJXM Fri 07-Mar-14 10:25:23

Remember to include a cheque for £10 with your DPA - my LA wouldn't start the request until they received the money.

2boysnamedR Fri 07-Mar-14 10:26:18

I just want them to get on with it. More waiting, more stress! Ds is getting good support right now at school but he will always be dyspraxic so he needs something long term in place so where not starting again every year.

What gets to me is the pead has backed me and they have ignored that. He scores bottom 1% in two areas so its just ignoring evidence again and again. I'm still no closer to understanding his needs as the psych report was crap so how can school meet his needs?

Bunch of monkeys!

2boysnamedR Fri 07-Mar-14 10:27:47

Plus I was really annoyed at ds yesterday. Every time he stuttered, skipped or struggled I just wanted to blame him for all this. Like he can help it!

claw2 Fri 07-Mar-14 10:41:15

It is a very stressful time isn't it. I know everyone says it and its easier said than done, but try to find some time to unwind and be kind to yourself. If you don't function, no one else does.

2boysnamedR Fri 07-Mar-14 11:05:43

Thanks claw I'm just trying to tell myself this is all part of normal life now. I have a small to do list and will only add to it as needed.

I'm also expecting my fourth baby in August! I bet that will be bang on tribunal day! I have a history of early births due to pre eclampsia so I must not get stressed! ( yet right!)

All I want is boringly average child this time.

2boysnamedR Fri 07-Mar-14 11:07:01

Maybe I could birth at tribunal? Give the lea some trams of their own to scar them for life lol!

2boysnamedR Fri 07-Mar-14 11:07:40

Trauma I mean...

JJXM Fri 07-Mar-14 12:08:27

My paed, SALT, child psych, portage, council's Early Years team all supported the need for a statement - still refused SA. I don't think they even read the reports.

Congratulations on the pregnancy smile

2boysnamedR Fri 07-Mar-14 12:12:31

How are getting on now jjxm?

JJXM Fri 07-Mar-14 13:45:31

After applying to sendist, our LA conceded and has decided to assess. We're awaiting the decision in the next couple of weeks. As DS doesn't speak at all, we're hoping that we get a statement rather than a NIL.

2boysnamedR Fri 07-Mar-14 13:53:45

Your not far behind me then. I hope and pray your not in my shoes and get your statement. Tbh I think it was ed psych report that did it. It was so Woolley he could have been describing the pet dog. I have peed too many people off at the lea - including him

ouryve Fri 07-Mar-14 14:01:46

How the hell is a non-verbal or non-communicating child expected to cope in school without a lot of support, JJXM? It's beyond ridiculous that you had to appeal, in the first place angry

JJXM Mon 10-Mar-14 15:14:55

I agree that it is ridiculous we had to appeal. He's also not toilet trained, doesn't feel pain, scratches himself until he bleeds, wakes every night - it is unbelievable - if DS is being turned down, then everyone is at risk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now