Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Found out that DS has Specific Learning Difficulties and possible Asperger's.

(6 Posts)
flyingunderpants Thu 06-Mar-14 21:47:54

Some of you may have read my thread in chat. I feel really stupid not realising what 'Specific Learning Difficulties' meant. But now I do it puts everything in a new light. I feel like I have something to work with. Before all I was being told was DS had very low working memory.
So after a long 2 year battle the LA assessed DS for a statement. They have issued a Note in Lieu.
So now I have to decide if that is good enough, or if I fight on for a statement.
Parent Partnership have said that DS wouldn't get anything different on a statement, from what is on the Note in Lieu.
I feel like I'm going round in circles. confused
Help please

billiejeanbob Thu 06-Mar-14 22:04:11

dont accept a note in lieu, its honwstly not worth the paper its written on. its not legally binding and the school do not have to follow the recomendations made within it. even if the statement was worded exactly the same it would be legally binding and mean that your dc had a legal right to the provision it contains.

parent partnership sound like they are not impartial and are acting for the lea. I would contact ipsea for advice regarding an appeal to sendist.

billiejeanbob Thu 06-Mar-14 22:07:58

sorry for the typo, I meant honestly.

flyingunderpants Thu 06-Mar-14 22:16:05

Thank you that's what I thought too.
Parent Partnership have told me I will need to prove DS, needs more then 20 hrs a week support, for a tribunal to find I our favour.
I really don't know how to do that.
I did feel like PP want me to accept the Note in Lieu. It felt like she had had enough too, after a 2 year battle.
But she has been really good up till now.

billiejeanbob Thu 06-Mar-14 22:35:52

what support does the NIL say your ds needs? do you think this is a fair reflection of his needs?
the only way of proving how much support your ds needs is by having an independent educational pyschology/ SALT/ OT assessments.

nostoppingme Fri 07-Mar-14 04:14:45

Parent Partnership is not on your side, they have the same employers as the LA. They are trying to derail you. A NIL means absolutely nothing.

Please speak to IPSEA, SOSsen or any other advocate for unbiased advice but NOT Parent Partnership.

You need to do your research and find out exactly what your child's profile is and what the different terminologies mean. You will need your own independent reports.

Do not accept a NIL. All the best.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now