Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

working document advice needed please

(8 Posts)
billiejeanbob Thu 06-Mar-14 16:05:21

ok so this morning I recieved the working document through the post. to some extent the lea have specified provision but the issue im having is with the salt. the statement specifies 1:1 10 mins with ta three times a week to deliver the therapy. there is no mention of SLT being involved to oversee this or agree new targets etc just rereferral criteria (this takes 26 wks!).
ds has speech disorder and verbal dyspraxia. if it werent for the SLT aspect I would be happy to accept the statement. is it worth pursuing? im in two minds here and would really appreciate some advice.
I should also add lea have confirmed they wont be incl SLT involvement in the statement and if this it what I want we will proceed to tribunal.

StarlightMcKingsThree Thu 06-Mar-14 16:32:33

Does he need SALT? Are the qualifications/experience of the TA satisfactory?

Is the rest REALLY specified or is it littered with weasel wording that looks specific but can't be accounted?

billiejeanbob Thu 06-Mar-14 18:12:50

yes he needs salt but nhs have discharged as ta can provide therapy.
the ta is only qualified as a high level ta, but is lovely and does have 10yrs of experience working with statemented children.
argh its such a hard decision to make. I am ready to get off the merry go round now... our family have been through enough and the money that I could spend in legal fees for tribunal could pay for a holiday for dcs.
but on the other hand I need to get this right for ds. he has significant learning difficulties and I owe it to him to ensure his needs are met.

tbh the statement is not perfect .... but it specifies full time provision in the form of ta 1:1 and small group work plus supervision at lunch and break. so at no point will ds not be supported, its just there is no specification as to what the support will entail but I do trust the ta and she has alot of experience.
any advice?

nennypops Thu 06-Mar-14 18:20:06

Have you got evidence that supports what you say about SALT?

KeepOnKeepingOn1 Thu 06-Mar-14 18:20:28

I am in the process of appealing refusal to assess for DS2. He is on SA+ but is visited termly by salt therapist and SLCN team on a termly basis. The TA has been trained to deliver the provision but he has not been discharged by the NHS.

KeepOnKeepingOn1 Thu 06-Mar-14 18:21:39

He has ASD with pronunciation and narrative delay.

billiejeanbob Thu 06-Mar-14 18:26:21

yes nenny I have a LA salt report stating the ds needs direct therapy from a salt to target clarity. have also provisionally booked an indie salt assessment.

billiejeanbob Thu 06-Mar-14 18:29:27

keep that is exactly what I have asked for, the ta to deliver the therapy but to be overseen by the salt termly. unfortunately nhs discharged and closed case and lea wont include it in statement.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now