Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Frustrated with school

(23 Posts)
sbm78 Thu 06-Mar-14 15:58:39

DS excluded again today for the 5th time for physical assaulting 2 adults hmm!

Went to collect him, spoke to the head and asked if she has received the letter about an appeal (I have started the application for an appeal on my own) she said yes but we are concerned he isn't behind enough. Really? He's yr3 and a 1c in reading and 1b in writing. She said it's near on impossible to get a statement on behavioural grounds.

Please someone with experience tell me this is not true.

Obviously I'm applying anyway and will be putting EVERYTHING on the form.

Thanks in advance

billiejeanbob Thu 06-Mar-14 16:10:27

my ds is statemented and is a level 1b in reading, 2c in maths. he is in yr 3. so yes they are lying to you and are probably refering to the LAs illegal blanket policy.

sbm78 Thu 06-Mar-14 16:17:14

Thanks that is like music to my ears. Has your DS been diagnosed with anything? No one is wanting to say he has .......
X

StarlightMcKingsThree Thu 06-Mar-14 16:24:05

He's clearly behind in his behaviour ffs.

Is this a formal exclusion? Have the others been? Do you have all of the paperwork?

OneInEight Thu 06-Mar-14 16:25:25

You should get an assessment on behaviour grounds alone. ds1 and ds2 are both academically above average but we got SA on first attempt on behaviour grounds (ds1 had been excluded 4 times and ds2 three times). We did not have a definite diagnosis at time of application but both are now diagnosed AS.

StarlightMcKingsThree Thu 06-Mar-14 16:25:32

My ds has a statement and is likely to reach level 2s by the end of Year 2. He doesn't even have any behavioural problems.

sbm78 Thu 06-Mar-14 16:25:42

Hi, yes the 5th formal exclusion I have the paperwork. It'll all be being sent with my app for assessment. As well as details about his behaviour full stop.

When teachers/heads make comments like that it just makes u think confusedconfusedconfused

StarlightMcKingsThree Thu 06-Mar-14 16:26:18

Have you applied for a statement?

sbm78 Thu 06-Mar-14 16:26:35

Wow starlight that is encouraging. Thanku xx

sbm78 Thu 06-Mar-14 16:28:12

Yeah they've sent me a form to complete. Just waiting for salt report and will be sending back. Sooner the better.

I've been put off by the school till now but you guys are really encouraging so Thanku xx

StarlightMcKingsThree Thu 06-Mar-14 16:28:50

Oh I see.

Right. Well the School are trying to put you off then because they don't want to spend their money on him. The LA will expect them to have exhausted all of their resources and demonstrated that, and when he gets a statement it will mean that the provision will be his entitlement by law, plus any top ups that the LA feel are appropriate.

Statemented children cost schools money, and accountability. This money they do have, but if not protected by the law of statements can be spent on glossy brochures or whatever....

sbm78 Thu 06-Mar-14 16:37:55

Well it's not nice to hear that it might all be down to money!!!

Still fingers crossed they get my application and assess and statement

Thanks for your time x

StarlightMcKingsThree Thu 06-Mar-14 16:42:17

I'm not making excuses for the school, but they have to evaluate use of every pound for it's best use. The school often interprets that as a requirement to use money on helping them to achieve their targets that they will be assessed against.

The assessment of SEN provision isn't very robust and expectations are very low generally, so why put £10k into one child to move one level when that same £10k could get 15 struggling kids to level 4?

ouryve Thu 06-Mar-14 19:04:00

DS1 is G&T and has a statement because of social and behavioural difficulties. Academic progress is only one area in 4 that are considered (others are behavioural, social and physical)

ouryve Thu 06-Mar-14 19:07:54

There's actually some pertinent information in this thread, thanks to claw. If you haven't done so already, download yourself a copy of the SEN code of practice.
www.mumsnet.com/Talk/special_needs/2017017-Anyone-got-any-case-law-for-refusal-to-assess-a-child-with-HFA-aspergers-SPD-specific-learning-diffs

billiejeanbob Thu 06-Mar-14 19:30:24

yes ds has diagnosises of moderate learning difficulties, developmental co-ordination disorder, verbal dyspraxia and phonological disorder.

if you are worried you can ask your gp to refer to a paediatrician.

sbm78 Fri 07-Mar-14 11:21:18

Ouryve....what's G&T (sorry for my ignorance)
Thanks to all for your help x

ouryve Fri 07-Mar-14 12:27:18

Sorry, Gifted and Talented (as opposed to the G&T I often need after a day with him!)

bochead Fri 07-Mar-14 12:38:34

DS got a statement without a diagnosis or being too many years behind academically (school says he wasn't behind, I say he blummin was!) on behavioral grounds. He was a bolter as opposed to being violent and the cat and it's mother told me he wouldn't get one. He did with no fuss at the first attempt!

The paperwork for the exclusions is all the evidence you need. Look on the IPSEA website for advice on how to make your application as quickly as possible. You do NOT need any one's permission to do so. Honestly at this age any exclusion is seen as a severe failure on the part of the adults rather than the child.

sbm78 Fri 07-Mar-14 13:47:04

Thank you bochead smile the app for appeal has started!

Thanku all so much x

sbm78 Fri 07-Mar-14 13:47:45

Thanku all so much x

sbm78 Fri 07-Mar-14 14:04:35

Thanku all so much x

sbm78 Fri 07-Mar-14 14:05:12

I meant the application for assessment to statement x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now