Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Ds statutory assessment went to panel yesterday - not heard anything

(20 Posts)
2boysnamedR Thu 06-Mar-14 12:19:30

I take it that's bad news? I have emailed his case worker.

I thought it tomorrow. Should I phone? I bet it's a no or I would have heard

sticksandstones471 Thu 06-Mar-14 12:24:17

I rang them and the lea told me over the phone that they had agreed to SA. I didnt recieve the official letter until a week later so it may not be bad news. Leas work at a snails pace unfortunately.

2boysnamedR Thu 06-Mar-14 12:26:42

I should phone really. I don't want to hear no though

sticksandstones471 Thu 06-Mar-14 13:43:17

the sooner you know the sooner you can crack on with your appeal if need be. good luck I hope its good news!

2boysnamedR Thu 06-Mar-14 14:04:01

Note in fecking leu - what the he is that?! He is the bottom 1% in two different areas! Can I appeal today without seeing the note? Aaaarrggghhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!

StarlightMcKingsThree Thu 06-Mar-14 14:05:25

It's not bad news. It's neutral news.

You can phone. IMO some case officers like the power they hold over parents by 'knowing' and the parents not. They don't have to tell you officially until the date set by the statutory framework.

My case officer told me on the phone the second the meeting was over, but that was because until that point I had been insisting on sitting on the panel as his educational representative as he wasn't yet in school.

(hmm Had almost forgotten that actually. Proof that you CAN return to a normal human being after they turn you into an animal)

StarlightMcKingsThree Thu 06-Mar-14 14:06:58

Sorry x post.

Yep, that's bad news.

Download the forms right now and begin filling in the boring stuff i.e. name address etc. It will give you a focus and mean the whole job isn't too big when the document comes.

StarlightMcKingsThree Thu 06-Mar-14 14:07:38

Just remind me, - this is your second run at this!? but for a different child?

2boysnamedR Thu 06-Mar-14 14:14:29

No first run with first child. I appealed the refusal and was going to tribunal but the lea backed down

StarlightMcKingsThree Thu 06-Mar-14 14:16:34

Okay. So this is fairly logical conclusion for corrupt system.

Sorry.

Keep going.

sticksandstones471 Thu 06-Mar-14 14:25:50

note in lieu isnt legally binding, its basically just advice to the school, but the school dont have to follow the recomendations. sorry its bad news. bloody LEAs sad
I would crack on with the appeal. do you know if you are entitled to legal aid? if so you can contact a solicitor who will complete all of the paperwork for you.

2boysnamedR Thu 06-Mar-14 14:27:59

No not entitled to legal aid as I work

bjkmummy Thu 06-Mar-14 14:50:56

It just stinks doesn't it.mthey refused you appealed they backed down so you think - great - then they do this. Your option is to appeal and like star says start it now and then when the offical letter comes you are ready to go. It's just such a pointless thing with a child stuck in the middle of it. I suspect that evn if I get as far as an assessment I will get the notice in lieu

JJXM Thu 06-Mar-14 14:53:47

angry on your behalf 2boys. We were refused SA at the same time and I think yours was overturned a week or so before mine. Remember that they conceded the SA very quickly once you put in for the appeal and hopefully you will have a similar outcome with another appeal.

I would get the initial paperwork into sendist. You need to request all the reports from the SA so you can see the EP's report etc.

Remember they are hoping you will be despondent and give up.

2boysnamedR Thu 06-Mar-14 14:54:14

The thing is the pead backed me, he has two desperate reports saying in is the bottom 1% in two areas! How do they get away with this? Going to try to get hold of very good indi ed psych and take them to the cleaners.

So mad....

TOWIE2014 Thu 06-Mar-14 15:00:37

That sucks - I'm sorry. As star says, it's a corrupt system and so probably inevitable as they conceded refusal. However, try and see it as a stepping stone to finally getting provision. You WILL get there.

Don't forget to put in a DPA request to get your DC's files at the LA - that should turn up some "interesting" information.

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 06-Mar-14 15:14:10

Sorry to read this 2boys,

Appeal the NIL (that is really not worth the paper it is written on) and get your appeal into SEND asap. Use IPSEA's refusal to assess pack of information on their website.

This may also be helpful to you from IPSEA's website:-

www.ipsea.org.uk/what-you-need-to-know/how-to-take-action/case16.aspx

2boysnamedR Thu 06-Mar-14 15:14:16

Yes I have just emailed the case officer telling her appeal is in the post and I want his files.

Good news is I have the evidence. Get a psych maybe a solicitor then sit back and get the pop corn out...

I have come too far to stop now

2boysnamedR Thu 06-Mar-14 15:48:19

At least the case officer said she was sorry....

ouryve Thu 06-Mar-14 16:05:24

NIL is such a wonderful way of spinning the assessment process out, isn't it. Sorry you're not able to step off the merry-go-round just yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now