Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

She will not stop screaming

(13 Posts)
PrinceRogersNelson Tue 04-Mar-14 16:19:52

I picked DD up from school an hour ago. All she has done is scream at us. Growled at us. Shouted at us.

Her brother has just tried to play with her in the garden and as soon as he did something that was deemed unacceptable she screamed at him.

I just cannot stand it. I hate her for it right now.

I don't want to be at home. I don't want to be with her. All communication is screaming.

I just want to cry right now.

sammythemummy Tue 04-Mar-14 17:26:02

Oh God prince that sounds really hard.

Has something triggered it? Can she perhaps go into her room and do an activity she often likes?

It's been an hour since you posted, I hope she's calmer now

PolterGoose Tue 04-Mar-14 17:28:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

raffle Tue 04-Mar-14 17:32:23

Oh Prince, that sounds hard to deal with. DS2 can be a screamer and it really can push you to the limit. Any chance of you getting away for a wee while. Just a short walk round the block might help? Hope she settles soon.

PrinceRogersNelson Tue 04-Mar-14 17:44:42

I managed to pull it together a bit.

She is often like this. We had a god half term and things were a bit calmer.

I know it's holding it together at school and then letting off steam after. I know how I should handle it, but sometimes i just want her to behave.

She took herself off to her play kitchen and 'made pancakes' then we ate real ones.

I cried on the phone to DH and he is coming home.

We have builders in doing the bathroom and I know that isn't helping. Also means she cannot get to her bedroom.

She is verbal although with a fairly severe language disorder and severe dyspraxia. She is stressed. I know that. I just want to have a happy home and not one that is filled with so much anger and shouting. It makes me so sad.

I have bought the explosive child and it makes sense and then I stopped reading it blush. I will get it out again when I am less cross and wanting to help her again.

Why is there no help for parents with this by the way? Why has no one ever taken me seriously when I say her behaviour and mood are difficult and that the negative impact on family life is huge? There must be people out there who know how to parent children with SN and cope with the frustration they feel? Why is there seemingly no help? Apart from MN of course.

PrinceRogersNelson Tue 04-Mar-14 17:45:12

Thanks for answering by the way.

sunshineandshowers Tue 04-Mar-14 20:49:39

Hi prn I sympathise massively. My son was and is like this. I wept all through September and October. It really effected my mental health. It's like an assault on your senses.

Have you tried retained reflex therapy? Or tinsley house? We are success with th and now have touch wood a much more peaceful house xxx

MooMummyMoo Tue 04-Mar-14 21:37:16

Prince, just to say, all those questions you list at the end of your post really hit home for me. The negative impact that this behaviour causes the whole family and yet no one seems to care/be able to help.

My DD attacks her sisters, I am pretty sure it is sensory related, yet I am just told our authority/OT service doesn't do sensory assessments. And that's the end of that then. I'll carry on with DD attacking her sisters and me not knowing how to deal with it.

The professionals I come in to contact with just look at me blankly when I ask for any advice with how to deal with her, as if we are the only 'SN's' family on the planet!!

So you are not alone x

PolterGoose Tue 04-Mar-14 21:51:30

MooMummyMoo Tue 04-Mar-14 21:54:24

Thanks Polter. Are the books suitable for GDD children? I have seen some mentioned before but in relation to asd type issues so wasn't sure if they'd be applicable to me or not. My DD has a chromosome disorder with GDD and severe learning difficulties, could they still help?

zzzzz Tue 04-Mar-14 22:14:32

It helps to do things. (We have been having the same evening.. sad )

I usually have lists of things to do. Things that take time and for mine things that involve texture help. I usually have all the gumph to hand for each activity.

So examples

Baths, (for variety add bubbles, face packs, bicarb/bath bombs, face paints and a mirror, pouring stuff, boats, Barbies, ....)

Sand pits, (in winter we use a huge tray of ancient and revolting muesli, add animals, dolls, glue and paper, cars, tubes,...)

Massage (we wash feet then oil them with smelly oils), electric massage thingy

Sticking glueing, string, cooking,...

Beading, weaving, playdough, making pictures from things

I know this all sounds very trite and like it won't work but ds1 is 8 and has severe language disorder and dd3 is very challengeing as she has recently come off some very strong meds for epilepsy and it really is a case of removing your need to think how to cope. Create all the activities, collect all the stuff, have the list and just change activity whenever things start to dissolve.

I say usually because everything has got in a muddle for the last week and it has been like having wasps in my head dealing with dd's endless dissatisfaction. I too was in tears this evening because sometimes she will not stop. sad

PolterGoose Tue 04-Mar-14 22:58:12

MooMummyMoo Wed 05-Mar-14 15:23:57

Thanks Polter. Not sure what I'd do without this board!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now