Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Refusal to assess - what next

(4 Posts)

I received a refusal to assess today, just after the 6 week deadline. The letter is a pro-forma one saying that it should be possible to meet DS's needs from his existing provision. It invites me to phone and discuss the reasons, but I don't want to do that I want them in writing, is that a reasonable request?

I'm a bit unsure what my grounds are, obviously I think DS needs assessing or I wouldn't have applied. I sent in a very detailed letter with my views with the application, I am now planning to get professional reports done to support my case, but should I submit the appeal forms (essentially repeating what I said in the original application) pending the reports?

Also, I didn't use school information in any great detail with my original application as he has been at the same school throughout and they will have had to submit a report. I believe I'm entitled to ask for a copy of his records to use? Do I also need to start investigating the school SEN budget etc too?

ToffeeWhirl Mon 03-Mar-14 20:28:46

So sorry to hear this, WhoKnows. I can't answer your individual questions and am sure someone more knowledgeable will come along soon, but, in the meantime, did you know that IPSEA have a tribunal helpline open tomorrow between 10am and 1pm (0845 602 9579)? If, after calling this helpline, they feel you would benefit from further help, one of their volunteers will support you through the tribunal process.

They do a 'refusal to assess' help pack too (see the home page here).

HTH.

Thanks Toffee - I have had a quick look at their refusal to assess pack. Have not had much luck getting through to their helpline up till now, but will have another try tomorrow.

ToffeeWhirl Mon 03-Mar-14 20:39:56

Yes, I suppose lots of people ring that line. Hopefully, you will have more success tomorrow. Best of luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now