Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Exp doesn't "believe" in ASD

(10 Posts)
MzPixielated Sun 02-Mar-14 22:52:42

Myself and Ex partner have been through courts to sort visiting (he's an arse ect ect.)

MzPixielated Sun 02-Mar-14 23:00:18

Sorry posted too soon!

Anyhow we are now getting to the stage of overnights and holidays in the near future.
So far so good however exp doesn't believe ASD actually exists and it's all just labelling but kids are just kids and other nonsense..
My ds (6yrs) has only just been diagnosed and it's all very new to us.
I'm unsure how exp will cope any length of time with my ds if he doesn't understand his behaviour.
I would hate for ds to have to suffer (or get into trouble) purely because his dad is ignorant.

How do I make him see/believe that his son isn't just "weird" or naughty!?

MzPixielated Sun 02-Mar-14 23:36:04


adrianna1 Sun 02-Mar-14 23:55:16


I think part of it is denial, in some sense. Though him accepting your son has autism will take time. It would help if you gave him a book, a simple book about autism.

bochead Mon 03-Mar-14 00:07:51

If it's going thru the court its about him being able to prove he can take into account the child's medical needs properly when he has him for contact. Let the ex swing on his own rope.

Get yersen on an NAS help plus course or one up at tree house school (ambitious about autism if you wanna google it). Have the paperwork to show the diagnosis to the judge and proof of your attendance at said course.

Chill out and don't argue the toss with him, but do ensure he's informed in writing off all school reports, IEP's, medical appointments etc. You can lead a horse to water but you can't make it drink.

Let the family court judge tell him he's being an arse and why. The ex will look like such a tit he'll only get supervised contact if he starts spouting he doesn't "believe" in it.

In the meantime so that you do feel that you are doing something positive to help your kid then pop over to the IPSEA website and apply for a statement. Sadly if he has an ASD diagnosis it's likely he'll need one. Also put in an application for disability living allowance - the money WILL help pay for non-NHS help in the coming years when your child needs it.

zzzzz Mon 03-Mar-14 07:03:54

bochead that is a brilliant post. Everything boc said Op ...... The "I don't believers" are mind boggling.

StarlightMcKingsThree Mon 03-Mar-14 11:38:53

What Boch said.

Make sure you attend and engage with a bunch of professionals and get evidence of your 'training', that professionals have obviously endorsed as needed. He won't have been on the courses, and certainly won't have even investigated them.

MzPixielated Tue 04-Mar-14 21:34:33

Thanks so much for your replies everyone.
I'll get googling!smile

sickofsocalledexperts Wed 05-Mar-14 08:11:21

If you have an official diagnosis, I think you are in a strong position, as Boc said. Perhaps suggest/insist he go on an Early Bird course and let the mums there deal with him!

Part ignorance, part cowardice but all knobhead!

bochead Wed 05-Mar-14 09:22:47

Do NOT insist he goes - ruins the whole point of removing his control without getting into a load of stupid arguments that upset the poor child caught in the middle.

You want the judge to tell him that if he wants unsupervised access he must attend any courses. He won't listen to you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now