Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Any experience of CAMHS support for anxiety in child with AS?

(8 Posts)
LadyInDisguise Sun 02-Mar-14 16:51:52

Ds2 is currently being assessed for AS. We are 1.5year down the line and have just done the first developmental review...
In the mean time ds2 has developed this habit if pinching the inside if his arm, in the crook on the elbow. It prob started with a bit if eczema but it is now a fully a response to anxiety. In the last week, after being told to stop by his teacher he has now started to do the same on the other elbow where there was no eczema....
The skin is very red, sometimes raw and/or bleeding.
Is it worth trying to get some help from the GP? Tbh I am just very worried that 1- it could develop into proper self harming behaviour and 2- his anxiety levels are much much higher than we think. He talks very little so it's almost impossible to know what on earth is going on.
The other thing I have in mind is the fact he can be extremely NOT sensitive so again I am not sure how uncomfortable the skin actually is iyswim...

LadyInDisguise Mon 03-Mar-14 09:05:08

bump in case anyone has any experience

LadyInDisguise Mon 03-Mar-14 18:31:36

Last bump sad

Levantine Mon 03-Mar-14 18:46:41

Hallo, I don't have any experience yet but ds1 has his first appointment with CAMHS next week. He has a dx and was referred by his paediatrician because of his aggressive behaviour but IMO that is all based in anxiety Nd he does every so often say that he feels worried all the time. I would definitely ask for a referral, what have you got to lose? also, advice in here is often to keep a diary and I do find that very useful, for me to track his triggers and to share bits with school/ drs etc

LadyInDisguise Tue 04-Mar-14 15:41:31

Thanks.
One part of me says that I should go back to my GP and ask for a referral.
But seeing how CAMHS is working, the lack of resources added to the fact that ds2 just doesn't talk, I am really wondering what they will be able to do....

MomentOfTruth Tue 04-Mar-14 15:45:23

Ds2 also had some aggressive behaviour but we have managed to calm that down a lot.
And it never showed up at school so I've had lots of people just refusing to believe me. He 'wouldn't do boo to a goose' is the SENCO's description. So when I say he had all of us walking on egg shell they are a bit bemused...

Tbh I am afraid I will have the same reaction re his anxiety and that they just won't quite believe me/us.

MomentOfTruth Tue 04-Mar-14 15:45:58

Sorry name change fail. It's LadyInDisguise.

LetZygonsbeZygons Tue 04-Mar-14 19:07:59

OP, see thread above about CAMHS. Id ask to see someone else. good luck.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now