Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

urgent meeting with LA tomorrow - advice greatly appreciated

(9 Posts)
sticksandstones471 Sun 02-Mar-14 16:31:17

hi I am a newbie my friend recomended this site. I have a meeting in the morning with an ed psych and lea about my ds' statement. I have appealed to sendist about part 2 and 3 as they are not specific or quantified.

I suffer from anxiety and am really scared about the meeting. LA are insisting that they wont specify the statement as it is in my ds best interest not to, so they can provide support at their discretion. they also wont include any direct 1:1 speech and lang therapy.
does anyone have any advice how to handle the meeting. my ds is 8 and in ms school working at p levels and level1.

nennypops Sun 02-Mar-14 16:44:23

Refer them to section 324(3) Education Act 1996:

"In particular, the statement shall -

(a) give details of the authority’s assessment of the child’s special educational needs, and

(b) specify the special educational provision to be made for the purpose of meeting those needs, including the particulars required by subsection.

That means that, by law, they have no choice: they have to specify provision.

Also, have a look at, and ideally, print off this - www.ipsea.org.uk/Apps/Content/html/?fid=47
and quote it at them.

However, to be honest, if that is the way they're playing it, I doubt that it's worth your while getting into a big argument: you're unlikely to change their minds. Just listen to them, smile sweetly, and take a careful note of everything they say, ideally take someone with you take that note. Above all, don't be pushed into agreeing to anything: tell them you need time to think about it.

Also, phone either IPSEA or SOS SEN for advice about appealing.

chocnomore Sun 02-Mar-14 17:07:12

Do you have anybody coming with you? I would avoid going on my own.

As nenny says, refer to the law and don't say much. this is a good sumnery:
davidwolfe.org.uk/wordpress/archives/487

Don't say too much otherwise. This might well be a fishing for information exercise for the LA.

And do not agree to anything.

Good luck.

Ineedmorepatience Sun 02-Mar-14 17:18:50

Statements without specified support are unlawful.

I agree with the others, dont go alone and smile and nod alot but dont agree to anything smile

sticksandstones471 Sun 02-Mar-14 17:38:11

ok thankyou I will ask dp to come with me. do statements need to be quantified? this is such a minefield!

chocnomore Sun 02-Mar-14 17:53:02

Yes, providion must be specified/quantified. Check the noddy guide for a good summary of the relevant parts in the SenCop and case law.

The LAs know they must specify but prey on parents who don't.

Don't go with the argument that not sprecifying is in the interest of your DS in case his needs change yada yada. It is certainly not in the interest of your DS and unlawful too.the only way to make sure that your DS is getting a certain provision is via a specified/quantified statement.

Do you have support for your appeal (E.g. IPSEA?)

StarlightMcKingsThree Sun 02-Mar-14 18:34:11

Hi Stick,

The best thing you can do in any meeting with the LA at this stage is say nothing except, if you are forced 'Thank you for that suggestion, I will think about it/discuss it with my family/run it by my advocate or Lawyer and get back to you'.

If you are asked direct questions you can say 'I'll have to think about that and get back to you', or 'I'd appreciate it if you would put it in writing so I can consider my answer more fully'.

But let them do the talking and commit to nothing, and rarely speak.

Good luck.

StarlightMcKingsThree Sun 02-Mar-14 18:37:43

If they say you are being unreasonable, taking away provision from those who really need it, asking for Rolls Royce provision, not doing things in the best interest of your ds, giving your ds all the provision there is available already, try and let it wash over you.

If you need to comment you can say 'We will need to agree to disagree'.

If anything odd, or annoying or down right outrageous is said make a not of it and as soon as you can send them a letter following the meeting clarifying that you understood that point correctly. It will help you provide evidence for the tribunal of how unlawful or unreasonable they are being.

sticksandstones471 Sun 02-Mar-14 18:44:42

ok thanks for the advice, that really helps. ive got a feeling they are going to try to interrogate me so the replies youve all given are really helpful.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now