Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DD2 is beyond excited about the party she is going to tomorrow

(22 Posts)
lougle Sat 01-Mar-14 20:39:08

Am I awful for feeling really quite apprehensive? I fear that she has images of her and <party boy> playing together in bliss on the softplay toys. I fear the reality is that she'll end up drifting on the edge of a group and feeling lost, as she usually does.

I hope I'm wrong. I really do. If I could can the look of joy and excitement on her face tonight, before she went to bed... It was magical.

PolterGoose Sat 01-Mar-14 20:56:10

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

youarewinning Sat 01-Mar-14 21:01:47

I draw up a mental list of positive questions and comments when I think Ds may not enjoy something he thought he would or suspect Ds may have struggled somewhere. not that he's ever invited to parties etc.

I hope she does have a great time but agree a calm afternoon planned would be a good idea.

Redoubtable Sat 01-Mar-14 21:09:42

lougle <<hugs>>

I've read your many concerns re DD2 here...and I really relate to this one.

My DD1 (undiagnosed issues which are invisible to everyone, except me) has similar difficulties with parties and play dates.

Immense excitement that would power the Grid followed by enormous meltdown on getting home.

By now, I know to have a familiar DVD ready for getting home, a big drink in the car, change into comfy clothes and wrap in a big blanket.

I hope it goes well for your DD, and agree that homework or other demands can be dropped for one day.

lougle Sat 01-Mar-14 21:48:19

Thanks for understanding thanks

Homework is done, so nothing to do after the party. She might have a fabulous time - I just don't know who else is coming and presumably, vast majority boys.

She might absolutely amaze me.

Ineedmorepatience Sun 02-Mar-14 09:30:57

Good luck lougle I hope she has a great time and agree with the others about blankets, dvd's and lots of water or low chemical squash after what will probably be excitement and crap food/drinks overload grin

Parties eh !!grin

Helpyourself Sun 02-Mar-14 09:33:29

Good luck! I agree with the other posters who suggest quiet time to process and come down afterwards- go straight home, not via the supermarket!

lougle Sun 02-Mar-14 13:22:48

Thanks everyone. She had a great time. I'll see how she goes this afternoon smile

PolterGoose Sun 02-Mar-14 13:24:52

NoHaudinMaWheest Sun 02-Mar-14 13:25:11

Glad she enjoyed it. All the best for later.

Redoubtable Sun 02-Mar-14 13:41:55

Oh marvellous lougle. I was thinking of her and wondering how it went.

Some heavy work perhaps to keep calm?

youarewinning Sun 02-Mar-14 14:19:54

Great grin

Hope the afternoon passes without any drama.

Ineedmorepatience Sun 02-Mar-14 14:35:27

YAY!!! Glad she had fun and heres to many more parties grin

lougle Sun 02-Mar-14 16:35:04

The meltdown came. Trying to play with her sisters after a party, despite me telling her to have a rest. But she's now on the sofa sucking her hand and watching Lady and The Tramp, so she's happy.

smile

lougle Sun 02-Mar-14 16:35:56

Oh yes, Polter, I stayed. She had said she would want me to leave earlier in the week, but changed her mind (as I knew she would) on the way to the party.

PolterGoose Sun 02-Mar-14 16:39:11

lougle Sun 02-Mar-14 17:03:59

She was great, Polter. A bit overexcited and only really interested in the party boy, but joined in with the other children when he was playing with them. She looked disappointed that another child was sitting next to the birthday boy at food time, because she'd decided that he'd be sitting with her, but took it on the chin.

I have to tell you how sweet she was! She wrote his card and asked what she should write. I said 'you can either write a message or just write your name.' She wrote:

'I love you very much, love DD2' then drew Xs and hearts, alternating, for 3 rows.

When we got there, she showed the party boy a map of the soft play place that she'd drawn at home, to plan their route around the soft play grin It had two stick figures, labelled 'dd2' and 'party boy' and said 'Party map.'

Ineedmorepatience Sun 02-Mar-14 17:21:59

That is so sweet smile

Helpyourself Sun 02-Mar-14 17:26:51

That's lovely grin
I'm welling up!

PolterGoose Sun 02-Mar-14 17:29:27

Handywoman Sun 02-Mar-14 18:42:50

Oh goodness, Lougle that's so sweet. Glad the party did not disappoint smile bless her.

I am waiting for the girls to come back from being at Dad's since Fri. It is going to be meltdown city here shortly.

Having a quiet cup of tea and hot crossed bun by way of preparation smile

lougle Sun 02-Mar-14 21:43:42

argh, why won't she go to sleep???

She seemed to enjoy herself. She said she enjoyed herself.

She didn't settle to bed and has been downstairs since. She can't/won't say why. She just said "Today is a sleep downstairs day." hmm

she's just crashed out on the sofa, for now. Perfect on a school night. hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now