Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

School and hiding issues

(10 Posts)
Skylar123 Sat 01-Mar-14 13:57:13

I've applied for SA for my Ds.
School sent me a report that they submitted to LA , I have a query with a small part of it, many others , but just like to address this one for now.

Ds has great difficulty with handwriting and formation of letters, etc. Year 3.

Private psych report noted this last year and jan 14 school got Ds assessed by Spld teacher that they paid for that also said Ds cannot form his letters properly so can not also write in cursive script and will need 1:1 support to enable him to remedy this. Needs regular prompts to use punctuation and connectives.

School letter to LA says that Ds can form all of his letters properly does admit he has trouble writing in cursive script but can join a few letters. Can write independently for 20 mins.

Why are they writing this bollocks, I know they are not my friend but it is making me angry!

They have also submitted some writing that is the best writing I have ever seen Ds has told me teacher sat with him and helped him do it but he can't explain how or what she did.

Clearly they are contradicting what there own brought in professional is saying as well as the profs I have employed. This is only a minor part of it but still quite important as they are lying.

nennypops Sat 01-Mar-14 14:23:04

Can you photocopy some more representative examples of his writing and file those?

Skylar123 Sat 01-Mar-14 14:37:17

I can get him to do some writing at home I have some school work pages here he can use from work he has missed being off school.
Should I be sending my arguments about this to the LA now while waiting for refusal to assess or later when appealing ?

KeepOnKeepingOn1 Sat 01-Mar-14 18:07:00

Submit a formal request for all school records and photocopies of work in each year. IPSEA have a template letter. This is common practice.

Skylar123 Sat 01-Mar-14 23:33:57

I was planning on doing subject access requests to school, LA and PCT after refusal to access comes through.

Ineedmorepatience Sun 02-Mar-14 09:16:12

We have a similar issue, Dd3's NC scores are high average including for writing!! I know they are crap because she tells me that the teacher makes her rewrite stuff again and again. She has little confidence left in her writing so generally types at home.

I have a couple of samples of work done at home without prior practice and they dont meet many of the criteria for the level below the one she is alledgedly at the top of.

It drives me bonkers that schools think its ok to inflate the childrens levels, we were told at parents eve that Dd3 has to get lev 5's because she got 3's in yr 2!! I have told them over and over that the yr2 levels were inflated.

I asked the question on the primary ed board and teachers on their said it doesnt matter because the secondaries know it happens and re test them anyway ! Aaaaarrrrrggggggghhhhhh

Why, Oh why cant they just test the poor kids accurately in the first damn place!!!

Ineedmorepatience Sun 02-Mar-14 09:17:08

Sorry for the rant skylar I hope you dont have to go to tribunal but good luck if you do.

Ineedmorepatience Sun 02-Mar-14 09:18:18

Oh god now I have lost it.... I used the wrong their

Oh the shame blush

Skylar123 Sun 02-Mar-14 10:34:59

Thanks don't worry about spellings lol
I do it all the time without thinking
Ds is below average on all levels bar reading which he is very good at, reading the written word, hopeless at comprehension.
He is getting better at handwriting and is beginning to form letters properly but joined up a writing is a long way off.
It is very frustrating when schools arnt truthful with levels or competence of child.

Skylar123 Sun 02-Mar-14 10:36:38

However I should point out with regards to my Ds that he is actually very bright and IQ and objective tests have shown this but yet he is not performing at that level within the classroom. His potential and his attainment are not at one with each other iyswim

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now