Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Have any of you used a pushchair for a 4 yr old because of behaviour problems

(17 Posts)
Hedgyhoggy Fri 28-Feb-14 22:18:43

I think I was a bit of a pushchair snob with ds1, never really used one. Used one with ds2 until just 3 because he wasn't walking but now his behaviour is so difficult...he just runs off or lies down and kicks and screams. I think I am answering this myself but it just seems such a step back and i'm not sure how he will react to it. Had a terrible evening, really frustrated, angry, violent meltdown. Feeling a bit down.

Suicidal5833 Fri 28-Feb-14 22:27:53

Dd who has autism and is nearly 5 is still in a pushchair.

ouryve Fri 28-Feb-14 22:29:50

My 7yo travels to and from school in one.

Hedgyhoggy Fri 28-Feb-14 22:30:02

Thanks suicidal, though your name isn't a great comfort x

Ineedmorepatience Fri 28-Feb-14 22:30:56

Yep Dd3 was at least 4.5 when she was still in the pushchair, if she wasnt in the pushchair she was on reins otherwise she would just leg it as fast as she could.

Do whatever is right for you smile

raffle Sat 01-Mar-14 00:52:59

We used the major Maclaren with DS1 anywhere we may have been required to queue! Also doctors or hospital waiting rooms. He just didn't understand the concept of 'waiting' and it was so so stressful. Far better to strap him in and let him have the iPad. He is nearly 6 and we don't use it now, but it was a sanity saver there for a while.

Suicidal5833 Sat 01-Mar-14 06:25:17

Sorry about the name I didn't realise how much it was offending/upsetting people that will be rectified.

colditz Sat 01-Mar-14 06:40:47

I did. I had one of those massive mother are three wheelers with ds2, and ds1 used to sit in it while ds2 walked, because it was just easier. He was about six when I got rid of it.

autumnsmum Sat 01-Mar-14 06:47:46

I do dd2 is 4 and a use a pushchair for safety and as a safe space for her when things get too much

zzzzz Sat 01-Mar-14 07:12:28

Yup.

salondon Sun 02-Mar-14 07:28:19

We avoid it as much as possible for our 4.5 yr old. The trouble is that her nursery is about a mile walk. She cannot yet walk that distance without getting tired and worked up. So we try and restrict it only for those times.

I however still don't know what we will do in supermarkets soon. She will hold our hand and walk but can run away/lie on the floor too. Working towards that one.

bochead Sun 02-Mar-14 08:46:57

Yup - DS was a teeny tiny bolter & I lived in a really busy part of London. Safety before ego & all that.

Lookslikerain Sun 02-Mar-14 20:14:25

Saw this and meant to reply earlier. I'd say do what works for you.

My DS (autism) is 4, and is quite a big, tall 4 year old so looks a bit older. I still use the double buggy (DD is 2) when I'm out with them both.

I used to worry about what people would think, but now I really don't care. DS isn't a runner but he also isn't good at walking too far and will want carried. Carrying a hulking 4 year old whilst pushing a buggy is no fun! Also, like someone else said upthread, if he's a bit frazzled, it's a good space for him to have a rest and chill out. The hood comes right over on our buggy so he just disappears in there!

Lookslikerain Sun 02-Mar-14 20:17:46

Oh, and meant to add that it isn't a step backwards as you can still be encouraging him to walk holding your hand/on a rein if you want to, and push the empty buggy with the other one. But it's there as your backup, just in case.

Saracen Mon 03-Mar-14 01:48:36

I haven't - my dd uses an sn buggy because of (not-obvious) physical disabilities - but you might be interested to know that strangers seem to treat her, and me, more kindly and patiently because of the buggy. I noticed a difference when we changed from the ordinary toddler buggy to the more recognisable Maclaren Major special needs one.

As I say, her behaviour wasn't an issue but even so, any typical 5yo stroppiness which appeared did become easier for me to tolerate, because I knew that bystanders weren't judging harshly. Which might make a difference to you if others' reactions to your child's behaviour get you down.

magso Mon 03-Mar-14 08:31:06

Yes. Ds used to run off or refuse to walk, and was too heavy to get to nursery and school any other way. I used to let him walk holding on to my hand next to the empty buggy when he was behaving well, but put him in the pushchair if he misbehaved. It was really too small but I carried it in the car boot so that I could use it for hospital visits and other awkward times until he was over 7. It kept him safe! Around 6 he was given a robust folding 4 wheeled scooter, and I used to take him to school on that, with my arms either side of him to prevent escapes! It took a long time for him to learn to balance and scoot it himself, so I scooted or pushed and it looked less babyish- he could do the last little bit down hill to school himself. He liked the speed and sensation - it made him laugh. He still finds waiting and routine boring walks difficult (ASD/MLD) and he's 14!
Looking back I should have got a Major, but at the time was not aware of them, and blamed my parenting - as did everyone else!!

magso Mon 03-Mar-14 08:55:08

((Hedgy,)) I think it helped me once I was able to see that the problem was that Ds was not yet able to co-operate, concentrate on walking the correct route, inhibiting impulsive desires to rush off, rather than deliberately misbehaving or incorrect parenting. Melt downs are not usually due to naughtiness, but when the child is not able to cope or co-operate for some reason. At the time it is awful (very distressed child -unable to listen- starry people)- comes out of the blue- especially in front of others, and you have my sympathy. I don't know what made Friday evening so difficult for DS2 , - perhaps he was just overtired. We all have bad days,- 3 is still very young.
Ds still has meltdowns routinely in hospital car parks. I think it is some memory of fear coming back to haunt us from an accident he had as a toddler - but I don't know.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now