Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

DPA records request non-compliance

(19 Posts)
PolterGoose Fri 28-Feb-14 11:40:18

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

JJXM Fri 28-Feb-14 12:51:37

Report them to the Information Commissioner's Office for non-compliance with the Data Protection Act. But tell them first that you are going to do this - it got my council working pretty quickly to get the information. If you need the documents for an annual review, request for SA etc then mention this to the ICO and that you think they are being deliberately obstructive.

Hopefully they will have pulled their finger out and you will get the documents today smile

PolterGoose Fri 28-Feb-14 13:06:05

NoHaudinMaWheest Fri 28-Feb-14 13:50:13

Polter that is pretty dreadful.

Even ds's frankly awful primary school had the records ready within days for us.

PolterGoose Fri 28-Feb-14 15:45:04

ouryve Fri 28-Feb-14 16:28:39

What a lot of hard work for so very little.

I checked through DS1's school records - school offered them to me. There wasn't much there that I didn't already have, to be honest.

PolterGoose Fri 28-Feb-14 17:03:31

zzzzz Fri 28-Feb-14 17:16:49

The flexi schooling thing would enrage me. If that was the recomendation youshould have heard about it.

Spellings very gratifying. [smug]

read it slowly when ds is in bed.

honkhonkhonk

PolterGoose Fri 28-Feb-14 17:21:07

PolterGoose Fri 28-Feb-14 17:31:42

PolterGoose Fri 28-Feb-14 17:39:13

AgnesDiPesto Fri 28-Feb-14 18:10:45

Teachers tend to keep their own records except for P scales etc - I don't think I got anything written by teacher bth it was LA emails not school ones I was after at the time!

You can always go and view records - if you have an iPad there are handy free scanner apps - you can photograph pages and then convert them to pdf's I think wink

PolterGoose Fri 28-Feb-14 18:14:45

recordkeeper Fri 28-Feb-14 18:34:48

My school didn't like being asked to supply records and went to the LA for advice as the request was 'professional looking'. They were told that they had to provide these and then made a big issue about how they had managed to supply them to me on time despite having to deal with all the children in the school. hmm

I received over 1000 pages (mostly relating to previous schools) but didn't receive any academic reports at all -mostly SEN and behaviour related paperwork.

Some important information was missing and I imagine that some schools somehow 'forget' to supply everything that they have. In my case they should have taken more care as their records showed a number of safeguarding and welfare failures such as staff stating they disbelieved that a phobia existed and that they were going to persist in doing the thing that would make it worse! angry No wonder my child's anxiety levels were increasing!

Have you also requested the LA SEN file records? They can be very interesting too.

JJXM Fri 28-Feb-14 18:42:46

You are entitled to any written document that concerns your son. If teachers have emailed one another about his case then you should receive it. It's not just electronic files - you are allowed to see all hand written stuff too. When I viewed my medical file, I could have a print out of all electronic documents and I was shown to a room to read the old hand written notes. This is why when examiners mark gcse and a-level papers we are told categorically not to write anything on the papers and any notes must be kept separate and written in pencil and then destroyed. It saves complications when people appeal their marks.

There are only a few exceptions where they can refuse for you to see the notes but they are hard to get eg showing the information to the person could cause danger to self. But you should get everything. When I did my DPA, I received copies of all of the stuff I had sent in for SA. It is only on further pushing that I received over 50 plus pages from the LA.

MyCatIsFat Fri 28-Feb-14 18:46:17

Complete school files for primary, junior and secondary transfer information.
IEPs, complaints, Accident reports, Incident Reports, letters from me and to me, notes between the teachers discussing him, letters from the school to LA and Ed Pysch.

It was depressing reading. Sorry you have to do this.

PolterGoose Fri 28-Feb-14 18:50:09

AgnesDiPesto Fri 28-Feb-14 20:24:04

Yes you should get it all just that office staff won't necessarily think to ask teacher what they have!

2boysnamedR Fri 28-Feb-14 23:23:41

I know if I ever ask to see my ds ct she has a big folder on him. So does the senco. Mind you mine is undoubtedly thicker. A have a level arch file full

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now