Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

time to change to adult toothpaste!!

(8 Posts)
usernamealredyinuse1 Thu 27-Feb-14 13:30:55

I have a 6yr old boy with asd he has now got a couple of his adult teeth through so it's time to change his toothpaste but but he is so restricted to what he will have near him with smell look and taste I don't want this to be a scary thing for him to do please help!!

bialystockandbloom Thu 27-Feb-14 13:39:32

My ds doesn't like strong minty stuff either, we use Sensodyne Pronamel (6-12yo) which seems to be milder. It's the only one he has accepted. Could you start by mixing a teeny tiny bit of it in with his existing toothpaste to get him used to new flavour?

I feel your pain - dd (NT, 4yo going on 14) hates just about every single toothpaste on the market and brushing is a major daily battle <sigh>

zzzzz Thu 27-Feb-14 13:47:23

Mix it slowly into the other more familiar one. A syringe might help with putting it back in the tube.

NoHaudinMaWheest Thu 27-Feb-14 13:52:11

He says it has a very mild non minty taste but is certainly worth a try. It does have a good fluoride content.

NoHaudinMaWheest Thu 27-Feb-14 13:54:35

Sorry lost the beginning of my post.

Ds is 17 and I have only just found an adult toothpaste he will use. It is called Oranurse and is (afaik) only available online.

First post is Ds's recommendation.

ouryve Thu 27-Feb-14 14:00:37

Aquafresh have a big teeth toothpaste in their range, which contains almost as much fluoride as an adult toothpaste. It's very mild - DS1 can't tolerate the mintiness of even mildmint adult toothpaste, but is fine with the aquafresh, which has more of a weird bubblegum flavour.

PolterGoose Thu 27-Feb-14 14:07:11

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

hazeyjane Thu 27-Feb-14 14:41:01

I have a small tube of oranurse you can have if you want to try it, it was given to us by dentist, opened tried once, and ds hated it ( ds loves mint, the mintier the better and would eat toothpaste if he could). It is odourless and flavourless. Pm me your address, if you would like me to stick it in the post for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now