Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Language delay and emotional development

(6 Posts)
adrianna1 Wed 26-Feb-14 21:30:54

Hi my son has a very severe speech delay. He has just turned four.

I"m concerned about his emotional development.

My son currently says 15 words, but babbles a lot and uses his own made up gestures to communicate.

He knows when I am happy, angry, or joking around with him or when I'm cross.

But when I'm sad, he acts confused..at times he would look at me, then walk past me..carry on with whatever he is doing... or he would hug me or seem worried.

Plus whenever theres an argument in the house, he acts different. He would always run to where the argument is...he would either act scared, get excited or push the person whoever is arguing...

I know this is a symptom of autism, but wondering if it is always the case.

Thanks

PolterGoose Wed 26-Feb-14 21:41:22

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

adrianna1 Wed 26-Feb-14 21:43:14

Thanks for replying polter.

But even when i'm crying he acts confused too.

hazeyjane Wed 26-Feb-14 21:45:24

I don't really know much about the symptoms of autism, but the reactions you have described sound like fairly standard reactions for any child.

zzzzz Wed 26-Feb-14 22:01:49

Doesn't sound very autistic to me either, in fact it was exactly that sort of behaviour that lead to us not getting an ASD dx at 4.

adrianna1 Wed 26-Feb-14 22:48:01

Hi Guys

Thanks for your replies.
I'm just a bit worried to get all this info, as my son is having his second autism assessment..so this time I do not want to sound like an idiot when they ask me quite difficult questions about my DD.

Plus, he does not say much..which again is hard to work out how he is like.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now