Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

SPD assessment - what happens and how do I explain it to my ds

(4 Posts)
Crusoe Wed 26-Feb-14 14:39:24

Hi
My ds(6) is going to be assessed by an OT for sensory processing issues. Does anyone know what we can expect from the assessment and what should I say to my son in advance about why we are going?
Thanks

PolterGoose Wed 26-Feb-14 15:04:32

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

claw2 Wed 26-Feb-14 15:16:50

It depends NHS OT assessment, involved me filling out a sensory questionnaire. She didn't do any formal assessments, just observed ds playing on a 1:1 basis and tried to get him paint, hands in shaving foam etc. He was about 5 at the time.

At about 8, he had an indi assessment. I Filled out the sensory questionnaire. She assessed

handwriting and drawing. It involved ds writing/drawing what was required of him.

visual processing - eye-hand co-ordination, position in space, visual motor speed balance, visual closure etc. This was a formal assessment, it involved ds having to do was required (copying shapes etc)

gross and fine motor skills - postural tone and joint stability, spatial awareness, motor planning. This was a formal assessment, star jumps etc

Self care and independence skills, again from sensory questionnaire and noted any difficulties she observed.

Sensory processing ie auditory, touch processing, body awareness, balance and motion, planning and ideas - this was done in the form of classroom observation, against my questionnaire.

Play and social interaction skills - observed in classroom.

I told ds he would be seeing an OT and she might ask him some questions or want him to play some games, as she wanted to know how he was getting on.

Crusoe Wed 26-Feb-14 15:33:59

Thanks both - very helpful

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now