Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Aspergers and self-harm

(6 Posts)
Anothernamevariant Tue 25-Feb-14 19:07:58

I posted this on mental health but thought maybe this was a special needs thing and I'd find more help here.

Ds (10) has mild aspergers, he gets frustrated when things don't go the way he'd like, he struggles to deal with his emotions, he's not violent, he internalises a lot of his feelings.

He has told me that he has hit himself to control his anger and frustration he has felt in this past. We talked about it and we talked about him being kinder to himself and how he could talk to me if he thought that would help. He promised not to hurt himself again.

That was a few months ago, then yesterday he was getting frustrated about a 2 min talk he has to prepare for school, I had helped him edit it for flow and ease of delivery but he found the whole process overwhelming and while I was making the dinner, he went upstairs and cried his eyes out - I had no idea he was so upset about it. We talked again and he said he was annoyed with himself because he knew that crying wasn't going to help and he had wanted to hurt himself to help him deal with the anger, he didn't but I'm worried that he is thinking about hurting himself as solution to his problems - I have no idea where is came from and I really don't know what to do for the best.
I don't want to over react and make a big thing of it, just in case drawing attention to it makes it worse, I'm not sure what I should be doing....he seems happy in his life, I don't think there's an underlying problem other than the pressure he puts on himself at times.

Would welcome some advice.

PolterGoose Tue 25-Feb-14 19:28:21

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Anothernamevariant Tue 25-Feb-14 19:37:30

Sorry Polter- there are some ongoing problems with the name changing functionality and I was worried I'd outed myself and more importantly my ds would hate anyone to know.

PolterGoose Tue 25-Feb-14 20:38:14

Anothernamevariant Tue 25-Feb-14 21:02:20

No, this is a new thing for us...we have always had melt downs but thus time he says he feels different like a cascade of emotions are invading his brain and he can't think, so he was hitting himself to try and change gear, he has learned that sleep will solve it - better than hitting!

I suspect the school are piling on a bit of Sats pressure and where previous ds didn't care too much about schooling, this year he is really engaged and I supposed it's not a great combination, there's pressure from the school and from himself. He's very open to talking about it which is good - it almost sounds like a panic/anxiety attack. I was thinking meditation might help clear his mind of thoughts and help him to relax but it's a tough discipline for a 10 year old to learn - then again he surprises us at times.
Will have a look at the ideas you have posted too polter thank you!

PolterGoose Tue 25-Feb-14 21:05:21

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now