Talk

Advanced search

Here some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

senco salaries: core budget/SEN budget?

(15 Posts)
cardboardcactus Tue 25-Feb-14 11:47:54

At my DS's school they pay the salaries of everyone in the inclusion team out of the SEN budget. The SEN code explicitly states that it is good practice to pay them out of the school's core budget (p.51: "It is good practice for the costs of the SENCO (or those parts of the post holder�s work devoted to SENCO duties) to be set against the core or base budget of the school rather than against additional funds delegated to the school for the purpose of meeting the particular needs of children with SEN."). It makes my blood boil that they they do this while refusing to support my DS as they should because of cost, because there's "nothing left" in the SEN budget etc etc. But I wondered if in fact it's standard practice in all mainstream schools anyway? Does anyone know?

HoleySocksBatman Tue 25-Feb-14 12:06:58

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

HoleySocksBatman Tue 25-Feb-14 12:08:55

StarlightMcKingsThree Tue 25-Feb-14 12:24:39

How did you find out?

cardboardcactus Tue 25-Feb-14 12:27:05

It was in a meeting when I asked why they wouldn't pay for a certain assessment for DS on the grounds of cost. I commented that their sen budget must be pretty substantial and she yes but "most of it gets spent on our salaries...."

StarlightMcKingsThree Tue 25-Feb-14 12:30:23

Put that in writing back to them. Clarify you have understood that they are not complying with the COP and ask for the reason. It is just guidance but must be adhered to unless there is a good reason not to. That reason can not be financial.

cardboardcactus Tue 25-Feb-14 13:14:49

I know you're right Star but I'm torn between whether to play rough or play nice with them, coz I know they can be pretty nasty when they feel challenged and i worry that there is a vulnerable little boy at the centre of it all who could lose out (even more) if they decide I'm too 'difficult'. I'm quite capable of playing rough when needed but I so worry about the consequences.

StarlightMcKingsThree Tue 25-Feb-14 13:29:13

Okay. Fair enough. What do you want? When do you want it by? What outcomes are you seeking? At what point do you change direction from nice to less so?

It's important to keep as good a relationship as you can. but you have to be aware that your preference for a good relationship can be used to delay or even with some schools used as emotional blackmail.

cardboardcactus Tue 25-Feb-14 15:49:36

You know Star I have been thinking a LOT about this lately. I think I might just have to start being much tougher on the school. I genuinely am worried about the repercussions though. But, equally, the 'good' (it's not even that good) relationship with the school is worth sod all if DS is left to flounder.

AgnesDiPesto Tue 25-Feb-14 17:36:16

If they can't afford the assessment from their budget then they should ask LA for extra funds. Or you apply for a statement on basis your child has an unmet need which it is beyond the resources of school to provide.
It's then for LA and school to argue out if they have funds or not.
Agree follow up writing but maybe say as they can't meet the cost of necessary assessment from the school budget you will now be asking for statutory assessment so LA will fund it.
Of course chances are will then say don't need assessment but that's a different argument.
It's better not to get caught up in funding just say this is a need and if neither of you will pay I will have to ask tribunal to order it.

HoleySocksBatman Tue 25-Feb-14 17:36:45

HoleySocksBatman Tue 25-Feb-14 17:38:10

2boysnamedR Tue 25-Feb-14 18:06:10

You don't have to play good cop or bad cop. Just know what your entitled to then take it.

lougle Tue 25-Feb-14 19:19:13

"5:35 It is good practice for the costs of the SENCO (or those parts of the post holder’s work devoted to SENCO duties) to be set against the core or base budget of the school rather than against additional funds delegated to the school for the purpose of meeting the particular needs of children with SEN." SEN CoP page 51

Has anyone asked why they are not using good practice?

StarlightMcKingsThree Tue 25-Feb-14 19:23:50

That's just it. There is a difference between getting aggressive, and simply stating clearly that you expect the school to fulfil their legal obligation to your child.

The latter shouldn't sabotage relationships, and if it does well then the school aren't being reasonable and a sour relationship is justified.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now