Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

Harmonica

(10 Posts)
salondon Mon 24-Feb-14 16:25:52

Hello

Has anyone here used a harmonica to help their child blow and for lips excercise?

Any recommendations please?

Thanks
SA

autumnsmum Mon 24-Feb-14 17:05:27

Hi never done this but it sounds a brilliant idea . Dd2 has always used balloons and bubbles in speech therapy . There used to be plastic toy harmonicas you could buy they might be easier than a proper adult one . Dp used to plAy one and they can be quite tricky . Dd has a plastic trumpet that she likes blowing

ouryve Tue 25-Feb-14 09:23:59

DS1 has a little metal toy one that we got him from Sainsburys for Christmas. Seasonal stock, unfortunately. It takes a bit of effort for him to blow (and suck). They're a lot nicer sounding than party blowers, mind!

(could have sworn i hit post, last night!)

zzzzz Tue 25-Feb-14 11:03:44

I'd get cheap party ones so you can bin them if they get gross.

Bendy straws and blowing paint/pompoms/feathers might be fun.

SallyBear Tue 25-Feb-14 12:00:34

We used the plastic play cake candles to practice blowing. Is this primarily to strengthen the muscles around the mouth or tongue placement?

hazeyjane Tue 25-Feb-14 12:22:55

We have a couple of these ones from Amazon, that were in the dds stockings a couple of years ago. Ds does a good job of dribbling on them, but can't make a sound. He has done well with a kazoo though!

salondon Tue 25-Feb-14 16:40:39

Sally - Both, she has only just started trying out these speech tools and we arent doing a formal speech program yet anyways.

Thanks for the tips everyone.

we are trying party bag fillers type quality for all this stuff for now

SallyBear Tue 25-Feb-14 16:49:44

Salondon re. tongue placement - quite often SALTs use Electropalatography or EPG which is a device that sits on the palate with electrodes implanted. The tongue hits the electrodes and a computer programme tells you if that's correct placement. My dd used it for about 12-18 months successfully at the time. EPG

Strongecoffeeismydrug Tue 25-Feb-14 17:31:02

Ds salt used a plastic harmonica with him, he had now idea how to blow but learnt really fast with the harmonica wink.
Music making is his thing tho so he was really motivated.
She then moved onto drums so he would listen to beating patterns and copy argggggg my poor ears lol

salondon Tue 25-Feb-14 18:58:13

Thanks Sally. I will need to look into it and desensitise her.

She is excited by the whistles for now. But can't blow and tries to shriek to copy the whistle sound. It's so funny and sad at the same time.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now