Talk

Advanced search

Here are some suggested organisations that offer expert advice on SN.

How was the first day back for you?

(99 Posts)
PolterGoose Mon 24-Feb-14 16:07:06

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

StarlightMcKingsThree Mon 24-Feb-14 16:25:53

Oh Polter sad. Are you okay?

Our day was okay. Unexpected. But I think the circumstances were just too odd. We got back from a long journey of 2 flights and went to bed at 2am. Ds was up at 6:30am for a school trip to a temple to meditate.

I think a meditation temple when you're half asleep is the surest way of getting a positive and 'sensible' rating in your home school book. He's now on the iPad for probably the rest of the evening.

It works. What can I say?

PolterGoose Mon 24-Feb-14 16:32:41

Julia2132009 Mon 24-Feb-14 16:45:42

My ds's TA said he kept running out of the classroom and running off round the school and hiding. That's new, but at least he didn't throw anything. Sorry about your day PolterGoose.

NewBlueCoat Mon 24-Feb-14 16:58:09

Oh Polter, that sounds hard. I hope both you and ds have as peaceful an evening as possible.

Dd1 bounced out of school and gleefully told me she had ha lots of chats with her tutor. Her tutor confirmed this (I would like to think I imagined the knowing smile, but I think they have had the full rundown of our holiday away, warts and all shock blush <-- emoticons due toe regularly losing my temper all holiday...)

Dd2 has had all her school books sent home for me to prepare for parents evening. I would like to think this is unrelated to me having a meeting at her school today where I outlined my concerns re: her ability and her performance but I doubt it somehow)

minionmadness Mon 24-Feb-14 16:59:00

I got woken with verbal attacks from ds this morning at 4.45 am.

I was subjected to around an hour of it before he started to calm down.

I do find it strangely amusing though... as soon as he has said something nasty to me he immediately follows up with "I'm sorry, I'm sorry"!

Ineedmorepatience Mon 24-Feb-14 17:08:57

Sorry to hear your Ds hasnt had a great day polter

Dd3 cried for half an hour this morning saying she didnt want to go sad

I did take her though against my better judgement.

Moany teacher tried to get her to stay in at lunchtime to complete the holiday homeworksad

Dd3 took herself off to the senco instead though which is brilliant and the first time she has ever accessed help at school!!!!

So maybe it was a good day reallysmileconfused

PolterGoose Mon 24-Feb-14 17:23:21

claw2 Mon 24-Feb-14 17:30:26

Oh Polter sorry you have had a crap end to school day.

Ds was saying he didn't want to go today, but without much resistance.

Came home to 'absolutely terrible day' and very sulky, he cant elaborate more than 'just all this school work is stress on my shoulders' and a teacher told him 'he was blind' for not seeing the piece of dropped school work under his chair and 'crying when therapist asked him to write' (apparently 'therapy is supposed to be to get stress of his shoulders') OT therapy that is, I don't quite understand how writing is suppose to relieve stress, seen as he hates it!

OneInEight Mon 24-Feb-14 17:41:18

ds2 insisted on going to school with back to front hoody with eyeholes cut out. So proud. At least he went & is perhaps better than the waste paper basket and yellow rubber glove disguise we had when visiting the shops in the Christmas holidays.

ds1 fallen apart after school because he couldn't get QUEST channel on TV (or more likely seeing himself on film at school did not live up to expectations). Luckily, ds2 has managed to tune it in on the set we use as a computer monitor - so ds1 is now peaceful again & I might be able to cook tea.

Hope tomorrow is better for everyone.

PolterGoose Mon 24-Feb-14 17:41:21

claw2 Mon 24-Feb-14 17:50:47

I think ds is similar Polter. Ds is laying on the settee, with a blanket over his head, listening to the TV. He has been there for over an hour, doesn't want to interact and wants me to 'shut the door on my way out'. Polite way of saying sod off!

PolterGoose Mon 24-Feb-14 17:59:03

Ineedmorepatience Mon 24-Feb-14 17:59:11

WOW one I would like to have been a fly on the wall when he arrived at school in disguise!!

That is great that he "helped" his brother to solve his TV problem grin

claw and polter that is what Dd3 has been like too, curled up on the sofa sad

claw2 Mon 24-Feb-14 18:11:13

Oh yes Polter, I actually had 'im hungry' today (that's unheard of for ds) he had a snack, drink and dinner. Another day of not eating in school. Good news though, I emailed CT and copied therapist in and asked could we work on his eating this term. Therapist replied and said yes.

He has just told me the comment 'are you blind' by a teacher was in reference to a dropped needle during craft. He has taken it very personally and a silly comment to make to a kid with an eye disorder, who wouldnt be able to see a dropped needle. I might write that in ds's diary too!

ineed at least its a bit of down time, just as ds gets used to it, its time for another half term though!

PolterGoose Mon 24-Feb-14 18:18:14

claw2 Mon 24-Feb-14 18:28:58

It pisses me off, as ds has very low self esteem and is very aware of feeling 'different'. Ds has taken the teachers comments literally and personally and thinks she is referring to his eye disorder, he feels quite embarrassed thinking she has pointed it out in front of the class.

Still im guessing she isn't even aware that he has an eye disorder.

Hopefully a better day tomorrow for us all smile

Ineedmorepatience Mon 24-Feb-14 18:39:04

claw that is really bad for the teacher to speak to him like that. Honestly I wonder where they get off sometimes sad

claw2 Mon 24-Feb-14 18:50:30

I have told ds not to worry and its a shrug your shoulders comment. He repeated back to me, my previous advice 'other peoples opinions are not facts'! We normally use this for kids teasing him or name calling, not teachers though!

It might have been said in a jokey way I suppose, but ds doesn't understand banter or sarcasm.

PolterGoose Mon 24-Feb-14 18:56:12

Handywoman Mon 24-Feb-14 19:15:51

dd1 has had practice SATs over past few weeks and has still not forgiven herself for getting level 3a (very intelligent, girl, people-pleaser, hangs out with very bright kids, has dyslexia). Her self esteem just took off that day and hasn't returned sad

Me and exH split last summer. exH not seen the kids for three weeks (general passive and lack of organisation on his part). But he tok the girls away for the weekend. Brought them back unwashed and on their knees with exhaustion at 9pm. dd1 got v teary and barely have I seen her so exhausted. I kept her off school today and we have been looking at assistive software and laptops with a view to secondary school. Try again tomorrow.

So sorry that today was difficult for you both today, Poster thanks

ouryve Mon 24-Feb-14 19:22:51

I started mine off over at the G&C. Had an hour of complaining about how much DS1 hated school, this morning and how booooooooring it was. I got him there and he plonked himself in a chair in reception and wouldn't acknowledge anyone.

His day went better than it could have. His 1:1 had a day long earful, to which she mainly nodded politely. He pushed a girl out of one of the go-karts because it wasn't her classes turn, he hid in the science cupboard and no lunch was eaten, but nothing truly disastrous happened!

He's glued to one of DS2's new alphablocks DVDs, at the moment.

ouryve Mon 24-Feb-14 19:23:18

That's DS1 complaining - not me!

PolterGoose Mon 24-Feb-14 19:33:58

claw2 Mon 24-Feb-14 19:52:35

I will bear that in mind for next time Polter.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now